Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 05/15/24 at 9:16pm

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerTracksMERCED SPEEDWAY › Hall of Fame    MERCED

Pages: 1 2 3 
Hall of Fame    MERCED (Read 49746 times)
crazy2020
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hall of Fame    MERCED
11/27/10 at 12:04pm

If someone was to start a Merced Speedway Hall of fame WHO should be in it and why

IP Logged
Bap33
LMR God

Smooth is fast

Re: Hall of Fame    MERCED
Reply #1 - 11/27/10 at 12:22pm

Jack Oldenhauge (sp) - 50's
Vic Irvan - 60's
Ted Stoffle (sp) - 70's
Doug McCoun - 80's
Larry Faulkner - 90's
Ramie Stone - 00's

Why?  Domination of the feature class.

IP Logged
old dirt racer
LMR Senior

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #2 - 11/27/10 at 12:46pm

loyld beard  super modified al pombo super mod   60smerced used to have lots of super modified races

IP Logged
17t_racer
LMR God

Addicted to dirt!

Reply #3 - 11/27/10 at 1:53pm

Bob Terry
Multi-time track champion in different divisions!

Kern Body Works, Terry Bedford Concrete Construction, St. Clair Realty and Bonas Pest Control. VIsit our site @ www.vfgracing.webs.com
  IP Logged
Bap33
LMR God

Smooth is fast

Reply #4 - 11/27/10 at 3:12pm

Bob also has the most "opening day" wins .. (or at least he used to)

IP Logged
Bill_Griffin
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/27/10 at 8:16pm

Ted Stoffle - Stock cars
Larry Faulkner
Doug McCoun
Vern Willhoite - Sportsman
Vic Irvine
Duane Noe  

Guys I remember winning alot!!

IP Logged
Ken_Bonnema
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/28/10 at 9:38am

Great responses so far. The cool thing is that 5 people could go in each year and you would never run out of people who are desirving of such an honor. The sports HOF's not only include players, but Coaches and broadcasters as well. Having said that IMHO the FIRST person that would go in should be Johnnie Sass. Don't think I even need to say why. Bert Moreland should IMO be another early inductee. He PROMOTED Merced during it's heyday and did a lot for the sport. As far as drivers how 'bout:
Rod Poor
Dennis Moomjean
Doug Williams
Jerry Holzer
George Leffler
Ralph Arnold
These are in addition to ALL that were mentioned previously. ALL good choices. BAP, Great knowledge on Jack Oldenage ( not sure if I spelled that right either) Hope everyone had a Wonderful and safe Thanksgiving.

IP Logged
Bap33
LMR God

Smooth is fast

Reply #7 - 11/28/10 at 10:39am

Kenny, great idea about Bert and Sass.  

I think the probelm that will arise is over saturation and then it gets watered down.  If EVERYONE gets in, then it's not real special.  So, the whole process requires some deep thought and rigid parameters.  Hurt feelings are sure to arise.  I am glad it is not my job! lol

Gary Jacob sure would come in handy right about now, huh?
Antioch would have Don Martin II to use for input.  I don't know of a Don Martin type for Merced Speedway to tap.  

Some folks may not know, but there is a Merced County Sports HOF.  Al Pombo (auto racing) was put in on the same night as my grandfather Johnnie Baptista Sr.(baseball) back in 1975 or so.  The master of ceremonies was John Madden, and it was a pretty big deal around here.

IP Logged
crazy2020
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 11/28/10 at 11:11am

How many per year  

I was thinking about 1 every 3 months or so. That would be 3 a year.

IP Logged
Ken_Bonnema
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/28/10 at 11:43am

Bap33 wrote on 11/28/10 at 10:39am:
Kenny, great idea about Bert and Sass.  

I think the probelm that will arise is over saturation and then it gets watered down.  If EVERYONE gets in, then it's not real special.  So, the whole process requires some deep thought and rigid parameters.  Hurt feelings are sure to arise.  I am glad it is not my job! lol

Gary Jacob sure would come in handy right about now, huh?
Antioch would have Don Martin II to use for input.  I don't know of a Don Martin type for Merced Speedway to tap.  

Some folks may not know, but there is a Merced County Sports HOF.  Al Pombo (auto racing) was put in on the same night as my grandfather Johnnie Baptista Sr.(baseball) back in 1975 or so.  The master of ceremonies was John Madden, and it was a pretty big deal around here.

J.B. ALL points well taken (as usual) Perhaps 10 or so years down the road the HOF would be closed. Then again, there are always new folks that come along to take their place among the legends of Merced Speedway. Bob Williamson and ANYONE with Stone as their last name come to mind. You mentioned Gary Jacob. There's another one. How ' bout Pappy Caldwell? Was there for YEARS and loved by all. 1965 Ltd. Sportsman Watsonville and state champ Ray Elder seems like a no brainer. Don't know if he won the Merced title that year but it was his Sat. night track and he, of course went on to FAR bigger acomplishments down the road. I would have to think that right now, there are at least 50 people that are deserving of such an honor. At 5 per year that's 10 years of HOF inductions. It takes more than just drivers to put on a show. Having said that, Eva Sass belongs for sure. The important thing is that it seems John is interested in embracing the history of that grand ol' track. Also, Donnie Martin has a better grip on Merced history than most know.
I know he reads this and hope he updates his blog soon.
LONG LIVE MERCED SPEEDWAY!!!

IP Logged
Daryl B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #10 - 11/28/10 at 12:38pm

Stock car

Ted Stoffle... a great driver, a champion and a good friend.
Dave Brightwell.. My brother, 5 track and 2 state championships and the only one that could best Teddy
Doug McCoun.. My sisters old boyfriend and the most talented of the three.

I have really enjoyed this thread, has brought back names and memories from a time long past.

a few corrections.

Bob Terry only won when he ran his 421 CI in place of his legal 389, it took us a awhile to catch on but once we all did he never won another race in the 70's.

Billy Veil spent 8k on an engine but figured out quickly that with 8" tires a 3k Ford 302 (307 CI) would beat him. ours. he was so upset he had his crew jump us after the race at a party they invited us to, one little toad named Evans still has a boot coming to his face for that one.

The loss of Teddy was devastating to alot of us, we traveled to Watsonville Friday night and he would stay at our house in Santa Cruz, Saturday we would go to Merced and stay at Teddy Folks place, Sunday we would head down to Madera and put the slicks on, head home and meet up at San Jose Speedway Wed night for another night of asphalt racing. Ernie Irvan was our asst flagman at watsonville when he was 15. After Teddys death it was a duel between Dave and Doug McCoun for top hotshoe with the two winning nearly every race at Merced, Antioch and Watsonville for the next two years, Dave and Doug had also started helping out Roy Pruett and Timmy Williamson in what was then the Permatex series which ran with winston cup on the west coast. The loss of Tim at riverside took the air out of us and Dave quit racing ovals altogether in 80. I went moto x racing then SCCA later and won my last championship in 07 in E production in a RX7 before hanging up my helmet.

What was it like running the only Ford at every california track? well you had to bring your own spares, and you had to get used to hearing "looky there!, its gotta Ferd in it" as they peered into the engine compartment which was filled with basically a Ford GT 40 engine with 307 CI, all legal off the shelf parts from the Ford dealer, rules said we could run a 351 but since our closest competitors were limited to 311 we didnt think it would be sporting or fair and lapping second place didnt sound appealing, alot of drivers respected us for that. We had a couple pro built engines but they never lasted more than a few races, Dad could build engines that would go 75 races.

One name no one mentioned was a staple at Merced, Odell Brewer, not only did he bring the most beeutiful girl in the world into Teddys life but was also one of the fiercest competitors to ever run Merced, that man drove like there was no tomorow. off track was the most polite man in the pits. a true sportsman. "How ya doin" with a big grin was his trademark and he meant it.

The Corn Brothers. Teeth the size of chicletts, overalls, a version of english only someone from holler could understand, they showed up with a big block or something and when my elderly father protested them the younger one attacked him like a junkyard dog. their all probly in jail somewhere now.

Doug McCoun made quite a name for himself in the tour series, maybe some winston west racing as well, havnt seen him since Bakersfields Mesa Marin in 96, at the time I had a car there in the late models series running against Kevin Harvick, I worked across the street fron his Dad and saw his first car go together.

although sometimes bittersweet I miss those days.

Daryl Brightwell

IP Logged
TIM_BEWLEY
LMR God

road zombie

Reply #11 - 11/28/10 at 1:28pm

crazy2020 wrote on 11/28/10 at 11:11am:
How many per year  

I was thinking about 1 every 3 months or so. That would be 3 a year.  

uumm that would be 4 or 1 every 4 months would 3

PAN OFF GETTING A 1" INSPECTION PLUG!
  IP Logged
TIM_BEWLEY
LMR God

road zombie

Reply #12 - 11/28/10 at 1:39pm

Daryl B wrote on 11/28/10 at 12:38pm:
Stock car

Ted Stoffle... a great driver, a champion and a good friend.
Dave Brightwell.. My brother, 5 track and 2 state championships and the only one that could best Teddy
Doug McCoun.. My sisters old boyfriend and the most talented of the three.

I have really enjoyed this thread, has brought back names and memories from a time long past.

a few corrections.

Bob Terry only won when he ran his 421 CI in place of his legal 389, it took us a few awhile to catch on but once we all did he never won another race in the 70's.

Billy Veil spent 8k on an engine but figured out quickly that with 8" tires a 3k Ford 302 (307 CI) would beat him. ours. he was so upset he had his crew jump us after the race at a party they invited us to, one little toad named Evans still has a boot coming to his face for that one.

The loss of Teddy was devastating to alot of us, we traveled to Watsonville Friday night and he would stay at our house in Santa Cruz, Saturday we would go to Merced and stay at Teddy Folks place, Sunday we would head down to Madera and put the slicks on, head home and meet up at San Jose Speedway Wed night for another night of asphalt racing. Ernie Irvan was our asst flagman at watsonville when he was 15. After Teddys death it was a duel between Dave and Doug McCoun for top hotshoe with the two winning nearly every race at Merced, Antioch and Watsonville for the next two years, Dave and Doug had also started helping out Roy Pruett and Timmy Williamson in what was then the Permatex series which ran with winston cup on the west coast. The loss of Tim at riverside took the air out of us and Dave quit racing ovals altogether in 80. I went moto x racing then SCCA later and won my last championship in 07 in E production in a RX7 before hanging up my helmet.

What was it like running the only Ford at every california track? well you had to bring your own spares, and you had to get used to hearing "looky there!, its gotta Ferd in it" as they peered into the engine compartment which was filled with basically a Ford GT 40 engine with 307 CI, all legal off the shelf parts from the Ford dealer, rules said we could run a 351 but since our closest competitors were limited to 311 we didnt think it would be sporting or fair and lapping second place didnt sound appealing, alot of drivers respected us for that. We had a couple pro built engines but they never lasted more than a few races, Dad could build engines that would go 75 races.

One name no one mentioned was a staple at Merced, Odell Brewer, not only did he bring the most beeutiful girl in the world into Teddys life but was also one of the fiercest competitors to ever run Merced, that man drove like there was no tomorow. off track was the most polite man in the pits. a true sportsman. "How ya doin" with a big grin was his trademark and he meant it.

The Corn Brothers. Teeth the size of chicletts, overalls, a version of english only someone from holler could understand, they showed up with a big block or something and when my elderly father protested them the younger one attacked him like a junkyard dog. their all probly in jail somewhere now.

Doug McCoun made quite a name for himself in the tour series, maybe some winston west racing as well, havnt seen him since Bakersfields Mesa Marin in 96, at the time I had a car there in the late models series running against Kevin Harvick, I worked across the street fron his Dad and saw his first car go together.

although sometimes bittersweet I miss those days.

Daryl Brightwell

no bias here. LOL

PAN OFF GETTING A 1" INSPECTION PLUG!
  IP Logged
Daryl B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #13 - 11/28/10 at 1:56pm

No, none at all   Smiley

people that were there all will be jaded, so what would you use, stats, popularity? who decides the latter, us "unbiased ones" lol

let the drivers decide

IP Logged
Ken_Bonnema
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/28/10 at 2:11pm

Daryl,
I remember your brother well. Raced against him in the 70's. Great guy and a class act with at least one watsonville championship when EVERYBODY was there. Didn't know he ran Merced that much but he would be on a short HOF list anywhere he strapped in. The Mayor of Planada was another one. Hard racer who won more than his share. There's a couple of others who were VERY competitive during that period as well. I'm speaking of Dennis Wilson and Ray Morgan. For a year or so, the Stock cars ran 4 nights a week. San Jose on Wed, Watsonville Fri, Merced Sat and Madera Sun. One of those years, Dennis won 33 Mains enroute to the State title. HOF numbers for sure. Morgan not only won many races in a Stock Car but battled Gordon Rodgers down to the wire in Merced's Ltd Modified division. Tom, regarding your question MHO is to have a once a year HOF night. where all the of the legends show up for the evening. NASCAR puts 5 per year in. That seems like a good number to me, but that's just my opinion. At any rate, EVERYONE I have seen mentioned to this point seems more than worthy of HOF status. Oh, Did anyone mention Tom Baurbor??

IP Logged
Daryl B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #15 - 11/28/10 at 2:37pm

Ken_Bonnema wrote on 11/28/10 at 2:11pm:
Daryl,
I remember your brother well. Raced against him in the 70's. Great guy and a class act with at least one watsonville championship when EVERYBODY was there. Didn't know he ran Merced that much but he would be on a short HOF list anywhere he strapped in. The Mayor of Planada was another one. Hard racer who won more than his share. There's a couple of others who were VERY competitive during that period as well. I'm speaking of Dennis Wilson and Ray Morgan. For a year or so, the Stock cars ran 4 nights a week. San Jose on Wed, Watsonville Fri, Merced Sat and Madera Sun. One of those years, Dennis won 33 Mains enroute to the State title. HOF numbers for sure. Morgan not only won many races in a Stock Car but battled Gordon Rodgers down to the wire in Merced's Ltd Modified division. Tom, regarding your question MHO is to have a once a year HOF night. where all the of the legends show up for the evening. NASCAR puts 5 per year in. That seems like a good number to me, but that's just my opinion. At any rate, EVERYONE I have seen mentioned to this point seems more than worthy of HOF status. Oh, Did anyone mention Tom Baurbor??

I remember you Ken, you also drove a Ford right?

Dave I believe still holds the record at 45 Main event wins enroute to the State title

IP Logged
Ken_Bonnema
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 11/28/10 at 2:53pm

I remember you Ken, you also drove a Ford right?

Dave I believe still holds the record at 45 Main event wins enroute to the State title [/quote]
45 Mains.......Good Lord Cool
My first Stocker was a 63 T-Bird. Traded my Go-Kart to Tony Olivera for it. It was Chevy from then on with my last Stock Car being a 64 Chevelle in 1977

IP Logged
Daryl B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #17 - 11/28/10 at 5:33pm

we ran 75 races that year.

i remember the t bird

we also bought a car from tony, the 65 convertable paved track car, only cause we were running 4 nights a week and didnt have time to build a dedicated asphalt car like we needed, we had to completely rework that car to put it in the top 5, cage was too heavy, should have built a 64 ourselves, would have won more at san jose and madera where we struggled.

IP Logged
wildman
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #18 - 12/03/10 at 1:04pm

how about Ray Elder 96m ted Fritz 14 and Bill Syphers circle 17 all of these great drivers had many wins after they left merced

IP Logged
old dirt racer
LMR Senior

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #19 - 12/04/10 at 4:12pm

does any one remeber los banos drivers from 60s rusty ohman , elmer turner ,joe turner,jerry hass sam posey all suporrted merced speedway very well poor boys done good!!!!

IP Logged
Dodgerdog
LMR God

Race to win.

Douglasville Georgia
Reply #20 - 12/04/10 at 6:19pm

I remember Jonny Sass announcing "Wee Willie Wieselmeyer!" I think he drove a putrid green sportsman. Wee Willie doesnt belong in the HOF, but his name sure does.

It was always an air of excitement in the air for me when Bobby Hogge, Ray Morgan, Jim Pettit, Dave Byrd or JD Willis made the trip over the mountain.

Those days were classic, when there were the Watsonville drivers and the Antioch drivers and the Merced boys. When they all got together it was something special. The trips over to Watsonaville were special for me as a kid because it seemed that without the walls like in Merced, them boys slung it sidways until the cushion was over the hump and back in the grass.

Since this is a merced thread....I'll drop a few names that stick out with me as guys who showed up and faught hard every week. Ya'll already mentioned the champs, but I also remember the guys like Sam Huff , Doug Hinkle and Dewayne Blount.

IP Logged
17t_racer
LMR God

Addicted to dirt!

Reply #21 - 12/05/10 at 9:01am

Daryl B wrote on 11/28/10 at 12:38pm:
Stock car

Bob Terry only won when he ran his 421 CI in place of his legal 389, it took us a awhile to catch on but once we all did he never won another race in the 70's.

Daryl Brightwell

Not true! Bob won over 40 main events in the 70's, over 40 in the 80's and and over 40 in the 90's with 3 track championships.

Kern Body Works, Terry Bedford Concrete Construction, St. Clair Realty and Bonas Pest Control. VIsit our site @ www.vfgracing.webs.com
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.