what is a good degree to set the pinion angle for hobbie

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Re: pinion angle
Reply #1 - 03/20/11 at 4:35pm

7-10

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Sparky56
LMR God

Z-Boyz Racing

Reply #2 - 03/20/11 at 5:42pm

imracin68j wrote on 03/20/11 at 4:35pm:
7-10

if you want change u-joints. 5 is a good start

ON THE WOOD IS GOOD Cool
  IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #3 - 03/21/11 at 9:51am

I would run 8 to 12 I used to run 13 in my ss. But I changed u joints every race

IP Logged
Racin72
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Califorina
Reply #4 - 03/23/11 at 3:20pm

I run 11 with no problems

THEY CALL Me WHITE LIGHTNING
  IP Logged
Dietzsch_Racing25
LMR God

Reply #5 - 03/23/11 at 4:17pm

Racin72 wrote on 03/23/11 at 3:20pm:
I run 11 with no problems

Mine is just over 10 degrees and the u-joints seem to last about 30 races.

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #6 - 03/23/11 at 4:34pm

Put 10 in.  You'll never have a problem. Same u-joint for 5 years.  If you've gone 2 far you can hear it on the yellows.  Might be different on a coil car but I doubt it.

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #7 - 03/23/11 at 7:00pm

These are comparison answers from other folks just for discussion:

what is the proper way to measure pinion angle? I've heard a couple different opinions on this. do you measure the pinion angle and thats it? or do you measure pinion angle and drive shaft angle then add them together

The correct method is the latter: add the two angles together to get the correct pinion angle.

To get a TRUE pinion angle you measure BOTH. This gives you the actual angle between your drive shaft and the yoke. However, most of your set up recommendations are going by just the pinion. As long as you don't have an extreme drive shaft angle you should be ok. If your TRUE angle is 12 or over its too much...

Brooks/Shaw chassis school recommends setting the pinion angle at 7-8 degrees. They also recommend measuring the pinion angle by adding the angle of the third member/rear end to the angle of the drive shaft to determine the final pinion angle. Not just the angle of the third member. I bet if you check, you probably have way too much static pinion angle.

This is all too common.. Most people don't realize that to measure pinion angle correctly, you have to account for the angle in the drive shaft as well. If you have 7 degrees at the pinion and your drive shaft is going up towards trans at 5 degrees, then you have 12 degrees.. I would bet money this is the case..

Thought it was interesting and might add to the discussion.

Duane

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY!!
  IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #8 - 03/23/11 at 8:04pm

The pinion gear is trying to climb up the ring gear thus planting the rear tires into the ground. IMO the longer you can keep that pinion moving up the ring the harder it's going to plant the rear wheels.  I think the optimum is to get the pinion to complete it's climb where the pinion lines up with the trans. I think actually that's what it's trying to do, line up.  Go too far up (not enough) and you start losing  the amount of pressure on the rear wheels.  Some guys will say add the two together to get your total but if you did that you would end up with 3-4 degrees at the rear end and lose a ton of bite.

Here's a good clip Of Larry Lords mod at Perris.  You can really see how much the rear end wraps.  He looks like he's running around 10 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfr72pwW3rE&feature=related

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
OLD SCHOOL#6
LMR God

CHEVY RUMBLE !! 

Reply #9 - 03/24/11 at 8:16am

Bill -- your mission, should you chose to do it, is to get some vidio of your car's pinion movement.  I don't think you will see as much movement with leaf springs.

"SMOKE ' UM" -- the unlawfull act of depositing large amounts of rubber on a hard surface such as asphalt or concrete.
AIM   IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #10 - 03/24/11 at 9:13am

I'll put the cam on the next hot lap session. If it doesn't make it up to the centerline then obviously I have too much.

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Dietzsch_Racing25
LMR God

Reply #11 - 03/24/11 at 9:32am

mudslinger47 wrote on 03/23/11 at 7:00pm:
To get a TRUE pinion angle you measure BOTH. This gives you the actual angle between your drive shaft and the yoke. However, most of your set up recommendations are going by just the pinion. As long as you don't have an extreme drive shaft angle you should be ok. If your TRUE angle is 12 or over its too much...

Brooks/Shaw chassis school recommends setting the pinion angle at 7-8 degrees. They also recommend measuring the pinion angle by adding the angle of the third member/rear end to the angle of the drive shaft to determine the final pinion angle. Not just the angle of the third member. I bet if you check, you probably have way too much static pinion angle.

This is all too common.. Most people don't realize that to measure pinion angle correctly, you have to account for the angle in the drive shaft as well. If you have 7 degrees at the pinion and your drive shaft is going up towards trans at 5 degrees, then you have 12 degrees.. I would bet money this is the case..

Duane

The pinion angle I am referring to is the angle between the pinion shaft and the drive shaft (the angle the u-joint sees)  I never understood why the pinion inclination to the ground was important.

CD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.