Pages: 1 2 
Arizona Late Models (Read 3746 times)
pinky
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Arizona Late Models
01/08/12 at 10:17am

Just wondering what the status of the SWDRA late models are in Arizona?  Don't see any LM races scheduled at Canyon...haven't heard anything about Casa Grande...and only one LM race scheduled at Cocopah...and that is billed as a California series.  Where does someone have to go to see LM racing in Arizona?  USA?? ET? Seems like an opportunity for Cocopah Speedway to pick up a LM race or two.

IP Logged
CDM Promotions
LMR Senior

Brighton, CO
Re: Arizona Late Models
Reply #1 - 01/08/12 at 11:06am

I think that everything is still up in the air on what is going to happen with the late model series in Arizona. I have not heard if anyone is going to take over the SWDRA since Joey has stepped down. I have been trying to get ahold of a couple of the tracks to try and add a couple of Championship Late Model Association DIRTcar Series races in Arziona to go along with the 6 races that we will have in New Mew Mexico in Texas, but I haven't had much luck. I really hope that someone can do something to keep the late model class going in Arizona because it was really starting to gain momentum at the end of the 2011 season.

Cory Moul
Championship Dirt Motorsports - Owner/Promoter
303-263-5489
cmoul-mhjc@comcast.net
  IP Logged
pinky
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #2 - 01/08/12 at 12:06pm

For sure...there was great racing at Canyon last fall...good car count  and a lot of competitive cars.  Didn't get a chance to see them at USA.

IP Logged
CDM Promotions
LMR Senior

Brighton, CO
Reply #3 - 01/08/12 at 12:24pm

I think that the SWDRA had more winners in 2011 then they have ever had in one season. Everytime that any of the drivers from Arizona come and race with CLMA DIRTcar Series they are very tough to beat. I hope that we can get a couple of races in Arizona so they have a place to keep racing and hopefully they will come race with us in New Mexico, Texas, and Las Vegas in 2012.

Cory Moul
Championship Dirt Motorsports - Owner/Promoter
303-263-5489
cmoul-mhjc@comcast.net
  IP Logged
Racer22B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Phoenix AZ
Reply #4 - 01/08/12 at 9:14pm

Yes It is a Bummer for Local Late Model Drivers; Owners & Fans in AZ!! In 2012 We Would Probably Average 22-25 Cars Per Race! We (22B) Took 2011 Off, but We WILL be Racing in 2012.......Just May Be More Expensive and Fewer Races.....Nobody Will "Hold Me Hostage". Would Love to Race at Canyon, Tucson, Casa Grande or ET.......but I Guess in Todays World.....AZ Late Model Driver / Owners are Like NASCAR Sponsorships......Track Promoters Expect the AZ Late Model Drivers / Owners to Pay for the Purse?????? In My Small Business, I Have to Go & Get My Customers.....I Do NOT EXPECT My Internal Customers (Racers) to Bring in the External (Fans) Customers.....I Know, I Know....I just Think Backwards.....JK, but not Really...

IP Logged
Racer22B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Phoenix AZ
Reply #5 - 01/08/12 at 9:31pm

We are Planning to Run the "Copper on Dirt" at Tucson in Late February......But I Do Not See it on Chris Kearns Schedule for the WCLMS??.....It is on USA's website.......Been Down that Road Before.......That is Probably Because he "Sees the Handwriting on the Wall"??? Most of the AZ Late Model Guys do Not want to "Stir the Pot".....But Man, WHEN are the Fanatical (Mean this in a Good Way) Late Model Fans Like Pushin; Scott Domine & Phx21 Gonna Bring this "touchy" Subject Up, Or anyone else for that Matter???? It Really is GREAT, to go to the WWS, Ernie Mincy started (Winter Thaw) and Benji & Kevin Have Continued (WWS) & Have Done an OUTSTANDING Job of Promoting it; Track Preparation; EXCELLENT Races, etc, etc. !!! But WHY IN THE WORLD are KEVIN; BENJI & JONAH (ET), NOT RUNNING THE LATE MODELS????? Our Purse is ONLY $5800....Our Guys Average 4 People Per Car in the Pits (Paerkers, Williams, Manka Teams usually have Double that); Usually about 22 Cars Per Race; that is $3080 at the Back Gate (22 X 4 X $35 Pit Pass), that Leaves 181 Fans at $15 per Person to BREAK EVEN.......Come On....Gonna Tell Me that They Cannot Make Money on the Late Models????? That is why You have Excellent Concessions, Beer Sales, Sell Billboards, ADVERTISE......

IP Logged
Racer22B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Phoenix AZ
Reply #6 - 01/08/12 at 9:42pm

No....I Dont Drink or Do any Drugs.....Just Frustrated.....By Our Local Track Promoters.....Like a Previous Poster Mentioned....Multiple Feature Winners.......2011 Points Battle Goes Down to the Wire.....AND Ends in a TIE for the Championship!!! Stuff Dream Seasons are Made of, Very Talented Up & Coming Drivers, Ricky Thornton Jr......Awesome Talent, Lonnie Parker Jr, Anthony Madrid, Banghart & Belcher Jr.....AWESOME Racing in 2011....Sprint Cars Probably do Bring in a Few More Fans, but I do Believe that Their Purse is about $2,000 to $3,000 Higher???? Drivers / Owners Coming Back into the Fold; Ron Pyle / Jeremy Thornton; Karl Tipton; Bruce Duckett (Me); Randy Anderson, a Few Others...Makes No Sense!! But IF, they even have ANY races....Guys NEED to KNOW so that they WILL Have Their Cars READY to RACE!!

IP Logged
pushin_the_cushin
LMR Mod

Dirt, Dirt, Dirt,
and more Dirt!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 01/08/12 at 10:21pm

As a fan, I was just wanting to take the "wait and see what happens" approach. (Trust me, Phx21 and myself has had some conversation about this topic.) I guess I have not posted anything about this subject, because this entire board has more negative feedback than I can stand at times...IMO, I feel if I just come on here a say how f'd up I think this entire situation is, and make a bunch of accusations without having any (potential) solutions to the problems, puts me in the same boat as a whole bunch of people on this board.

At the present time, the Series has no Leadership, no title Sponsor, and no where to race. It's a big pill to swallow...I will leave it at that for now.

Speaking of up and comers, please do not forget Bud Grossenbacher. The kid was getting better and better each time I saw him run last year. Was really lookin forward to seeing him continue to improve and possibly take one down next season....

IP Logged
Racer22B
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Phoenix AZ
Reply #8 - 01/09/12 at 2:39am

Yes....I Know what You Mean on Negativity! At Times in the Past I Have Been that Way Myself....But it is a New Year & New Beginnings!!

I also agree with you the 81B was Fantastic this past year, I Believe he had a couple of 2nd places and a few 3rd places....only a matter of time until he wins a Feature!!

"At the present time, the Series has no Leadership, no title Sponsor, and no where to race. It's a big pill to swallow...I will leave it at that for now."

Well Pushin.....Not to Be Negative.....But, I know, I know, There is THAT word, BUT. Well in 2011, I Thought that We had Pretty Good Leadership "Total Seal & Joey". A National Company Sponsoring Us; Great Points Payout; A Guy that can Be Very Diplomatic Dealing with Track Promoters.....THE LEADERSHIP & TITLE SPONSOR WAS, WAS, WAS, THERE (yes meant to put that 3 times)!!

But When You Own a National Company (Big Business) & You Love to Race Late Models, BUT......You Keep Running into a BRICK WALL.....Trying to Schedule Races with the THREE Major Track Promoters in AZ and they WON'T Call You Back......What Do you Do.....You, Me, Others (Joey Did) May Just Throw Up Their Hands and Say Forget the "Politics".....I'm outta here......Lifes Too Short for this BS!!

Problem is......for the Up & Comers, like Bud or the Lower Buck Guys that Cannot or Do Not Want to Travel 4-10 Hours to Race....It hurts them and Late Models in AZ!!

Can You Imagine, Pushin, If You had a "Small Business" (a racetrack is just that, sometimes big business) and You did not Return Your Customers Calls and They Stopped Coming to Your "Place of Business"......Well MOST "Small Businesses" would go "OUT of BUSINESS".

I Really Do Not Get on This Board Unless, I am VERY PASSIONATE about a Subject. I REALLY, REALLY Want to Stay Positive, But You CANNOT ALWAYS "Sugar Coat" Life! I Too, for the Past Two Months have been Trying to Take the "Wait & See" Approach.....But Times a Runnin Short....Got To Get Our Machines Ready!!!

The 98; 6 & 5 (won championship) are already for sale on Racing Junk & Here.......Take the "wait & see" approach too long.....May Not Be anything to SEE???

Problem is......Guys sell their cars, Dont have them Ready, "Go On with Life" and then IF, the Promoters Schedule us, we have 8-10 Cars.....then the Drivers / Owners will get the BLAME for letting Late Models "Die Off in AZ" becuase of Low Car Counts.....We HAVE the CAR COUNTS NOW!!!

Make NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT.......IF LATE MODELS DIE IN AZ......IT WILL SQUARELY BE ON BENJI & KEVIN or it Could Go the Other Way (trying to be Positive) KEVIN & BENJI will be REMEMBERED as GUYS THAT KEPT THE LATE MODELS ALIVE IN AZ......Too Soon to Know.....We Will Just Have to "WAIT & SEE"??

Pushin, You, Phx21, Scott Domine, Mud Slinger, Steve Curtis, Chris Kearns, Chet and Several Others. I enjoy reading your Posts and I Want to Personally Thank You (especially You & Phx21) for Being Loyal, Die Hard Fans!!! I will be at the WWS on the First Sunday and then the Whole last weekend (wish I could make all of them). It Looks Like it is Going to be an Incredible Show.....Like ScottDomine said....cant wait for it to get here already!!

Bruce 22B

IP Logged
scottdomine
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Avondale, AZ
Reply #9 - 01/09/12 at 6:14am

22B, believe me when I say that I am as upset as you (maybe not quite as I don't have a small fortune invested in a late model) that this class is in jeopardy of not having a season.  Late models, without a doubt, are my personal favorite class to watch, as well as my families.  We rarely, if ever, miss a race in AZ.  It is most unfortunate now, as I and others have watched the series grow and be quite successful. Adding up and coming drivers (Grossenbacher) and a number of different winners really made last year exciting.  I was really hoping this trend would continue, and possibly it still could.  

However, I'm not quite sure what me personally, or Pushin, or Phx can do.  I do talk to Benji quite often and most definitely will be this weekend, but that's not saying much.  I'm hoping as much as anyone that someone takes the ball and runs w/ it!!!!!

See ya'll this weekend!

Formerly dritfanfromwi
  IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #10 - 01/09/12 at 7:13am

Racer22B wrote on 01/08/12 at 9:31pm:
We are Planning to Run the "Copper on Dirt" at Tucson in Late February......But I Do Not See it on Chris Kearns Schedule for the WCLMS??.....It is on USA's website.......Been Down that Road Before.......That is Probably Because he "Sees the Handwriting on the Wall"??? Most of the AZ Late Model Guys do Not want to "Stir the Pot".....But Man, WHEN are the Fanatical (Mean this in a Good Way) Late Model Fans Like Pushin; Scott Domine & Phx21 Gonna Bring this "touchy" Subject Up, Or anyone else for that Matter???? It Really is GREAT, to go to the WWS, Ernie Mincy started (Winter Thaw) and Benji & Kevin Have Continued (WWS) & Have Done an OUTSTANDING Job of Promoting it; Track Preparation; EXCELLENT Races, etc, etc. !!! But WHY IN THE WORLD are KEVIN; BENJI & JONAH (ET), NOT RUNNING THE LATE MODELS????? Our Purse is ONLY $5800....Our Guys Average 4 People Per Car in the Pits (Paerkers, Williams, Manka Teams usually have Double that); Usually about 22 Cars Per Race; that is $3080 at the Back Gate (22 X 4 X $35 Pit Pass), that Leaves 181 Fans at $15 per Person to BREAK EVEN.......Come On....Gonna Tell Me that They Cannot Make Money on the Late Models????? That is why You have Excellent Concessions, Beer Sales, Sell Billboards, ADVERTISE......

I know it sounds easy, but these are tough times. For one thing, I would say average pit passes per LM are around 2.8. Also, you are leaving out the $10,000 per night it costs just to open the gate. (Insurance, Labor, etc) I actually have 32 different cost per night in my budget. Thats another 667 in the front gate (if they all pay full price) This was the hardest year I have ever had selling West Coast Late Model races to a promoter.

I dont know where the rest of the SWDRA races will be this year, but my suggestion is that Cocopah on October 6th, be a SWDRA point race. $2,000 to win and $400 to start!

Dont give up on your Arizona promoters yet. Give it time. They will get it worked out. First thing SWDRA needs is a leader. Its a lot more work, $, and headache than most realize.

WWW   IP Logged
scottdomine
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Avondale, AZ
Reply #11 - 01/09/12 at 7:24am

I agree w/ Chris.  Hopefully time will be the cure-all for everyone.  I do know that no one person supports late models f in AZ than Benji.  He is a true late model guy and I'm sure will do everything possible to make it happen for the racers and fans.  That is, if it's financially feasible to do.  We must not forget, this is Benji and Kevin's job! It's how they make their living.  So if at the end of the day, they can not feed their families w/ the choices that they make, then we can't blame them for not doing it.

And I also agree, promoting/organizing for racers seems to me to be the most thank-less position in the world Sad

Formerly dritfanfromwi
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.