imca news letter (Read 522 times)
dirtracer8
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

imca news letter
04/24/12 at 8:17pm

Arizona growth for IMCA at Cocopah & Mohave Valley
Apr 23, 2012 No Comments by Rick SOMERTON, Ariz. – A 3-1/2 year plan is in place to bring three IMCA divisions to Arizona.

Both Cocopah Speedway at Somerton and Mohave Valley Raceway will add Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods as soon as this season and IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks as of Jan. 1, 2014. IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars will join race programs at Cocopah beginning Jan. 1, 2015.

Greg Burgess, director of operations at Cocopah, and Mohave Valley promoter Walt Carter had both kicked the tires on new sanctions before discussions last December during the RPM meetings in Reno.

“You have to look at what has the best chance to succeed for you in the long run,” Burgess explained. “I want to spend my time promoting, meeting with sponsors, working on ways to get more fans to the track and taking care of drivers.

“I don’t want to be writing rules. I’ve gotten calls about our local classes but I haven’t had any about the IMCA Modified rules since I got here,” Burgess continued, noting the average count of 20-plus cars in the class this season.

Cocopah converts its existing factory stock class to Hobby Stocks and its street stock class to Stock Cars. Mohave Valley does not currently have a class similar to the IMCA Hobby Stocks.

The number of older, often idle Modified chassis has both promoters optimistic about introducing Northern SportMods to the state. Differences in existing track and IMCA rules, most notably the local use of Camaro bodies, necessitated a transition period for the full-bodied divisions.

“I feel confident about the Northern SportMods because there are a lot of chassis sitting around in garages or shops that people can use to get the class started,” said Carter. “I’d wanted to do something with the Hobby Stocks going back about 10 years but about 90 percent of the cars in our local class were Camaros.”

SportMods are new in California and have already debuted at four tracks there this season. Drivers’ ability to compete under the same set of rules at multiple venues is another selling point in Arizona, where approximately 225 miles separates the two tracks. Mohave Valley is in the northwest corner of the state, Cocopah the southwest.

“I don’t think Hobby Stock drivers would travel but we might get some SportMod drivers to race both places,” Carter said. “We don’t have the luxury of Phoenix to draw from so we both need a dance partner to work with.”

“We need other drivers to come to Cocopah,” echoed Burgess. “We can’t have a national caliber facility with local rules. Both tracks have to have a long-range outlook and do what we have to now to succeed in the future.”

Adding Northern SportMods to the Winter Nationals program next February is part of Burgess’ plans for success. He’s already aware of one SportMod and one Hobby Stock being built in the Cocopah area.

Mohave Valley is the longest consecutively tenured IMCA Modified track in Arizona at 20 years. Cocopah, the former Yuma Speedway, brought the sanctioned class back last season

IP Logged
Briggsy
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Colorado
Re: imca news letter
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 6:34am

This is one of the smartest things Greg and Walt have done.  I love IMCA Stock Cars.  You can go on YouTube and watch all kinds of great races with these cars.  

The Sport Mod Class is also going to rocket at MVR I believe.  There are all kinds of old Modifieds sitting around collecting dust that at one time ran at MVR.  A few modifications and you got a Sport Mod. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.