Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 04/25/24 at 5:08pm

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerSaturday Night RacerSATURDAY NIGHT RACER › To The Aspiring Writer Of Race Reviews

Pages: 1
To The Aspiring Writer Of Race Reviews (Read 1228 times)
C.W.
LMR Mod

DCRR Racing Media

To The Aspiring Writer Of Race Reviews
03/20/15 at 7:20am

Most people here remember Gary Jacob.  His articles were there to keep us informed of racing throughout California and other states.  If he was there or had a good note keeper like Don Low, he wrote the hell out of that article.  He set the standard.  

I remember reading his articles in the 1980's and picturing the races in my mind.  Not long after I started seeing his stories, I started writing and created my own magazine.  When I met Gary, he gave me a type writer and encouraged me to keep writing.

My race review articles were patterned after his lap by lap style.  To me, those were the best.  However, an aspiring writer may be intimidated by that.  I'm not sure anybody is inspired to write race reviews, even occasional ones.  This is for those who are thinking about it or may be interested

Now, Gary took detailed notes.  Much like my hand writing, I'm not sure anybody but him could read them.  I saw them, so I know.  I was just as bad Wink

I think Gary would just keep an eye on the Top 5 or so,  when the pass was made and where, who pitted and who came back.  Then, he'd write the final lap.  He could keep track of the finish that way.

I was taught by a score keeper, so I'd keep score the way they did. As I wrote in my book, I'd cause a little trouble with the score keepers when drivers used my finishes to improve what the officials had originally given them.  Many times it worked Smiley

In this day in age, that's not necessary for a writer.  The finishes are posted on the various sites.  What's lacking is the actual color of the races.  There are varying ways to do this.

The way I would still do it is the way Gary did.  Keep track of the Top 5 or so every lap, who passed who in what turn on what lap, outside or inside. I'd have short hand, such as an outside pass in Turn 2, I might write O2 over that car number so I knew later for the story.  If a yellow came out, who was involved and where on the track.

Even that is not necessary.  Have a piece of paper and watch the race.  Get a lineup.  Sometimes those are on the website with the finishes or write it down as the cars come out, but this way if so and so started 10th and wins, you can use that in the story.  Keep track of the leaders.  Joe Blow led the early laps before John Smith passed him on the outside in Turn 2 for the lead on lap 10.  

Make a note of anything interesting, such as somebody coming from 16th to 3rd, any interesting crashes that may effect the points, a race long battle for second, whatever.  So, you can say this guy led the final five laps after taking the lead from early leader so and so.  Now, so and so was second until being passed by what's his name on the last lap.  Rounding out the Top 5 were...

Even just three or four sentences per division is more color than just the raw statistics.  It makes it more interesting and makes those raw stats come to life for race fans who weren't there.  It helps create more buzz for the sport.

Now, I'm not sure anybody wants to do this kind of thing.  But, if you were thinking about it, it can be simple and will add more color to the results.  Racing is lacking that.  Also, if you are a fan from the grandstands and you do a good job, you never know if maybe you might get comped your tickets for putting a good word in for the track.

Its just a thought...

Now, if somebody does start doing stories for their home track and posts them here on the forum, please be kind and encouraging.  We all start some place.  Even Gary was a beginner at this once, and look what his stories did for the sport Smiley

DCRR Racing Media
http://dcrrbook.blogspot.com/
http://jeffersonracingnews.blogspot.com/

Covering auto racing for over 30 years. Writing, announcing, consulting, supporting the sport.
WWW   IP Logged
over4t
LMR God

Leaf lifer

Re: To The Aspiring Writer Of Race Reviews
Reply #1 - 03/20/15 at 11:01am

Gary set the gold standard for aspiring racing writers.  Covered probably more events, big and small, than anyone else.  I was never surprised to run into him from our local bullring to Wyoming to Oregon to Florida.
   His passing left a big gap in Western racing coverage.  The Dirt Late Model memorial race in his name is a fitting honor.  It's unlikely we'll see his quality or quantity of reporting again.
  Too bad that clown, Steve Curtis, continues to disrespect his memory.

IP Logged
C.W.
LMR Mod

DCRR Racing Media

Re: To The Aspiring Writer Of Race Reviews
Reply #2 - 03/20/15 at 6:39pm

Yeah, I traveled the road a few times with Gary.  He'd swing by and pick me up for trips to Petaluma, Ukiah and Lakeport.  There were the really crazy weekends when we went to Watsonvile, Antioch, Santa Maria and Grass Valley.

I simply cant see anybody doing all he did, because that is a lot. I guess I'm a bit surprised nobody tried to cover their track.  One of the things racing is missing is the color for some of these tracks.  We get the statistics, just not the story.  

Gary deserved a race in his honor.  I'm glad it still continues.

DCRR Racing Media
http://dcrrbook.blogspot.com/
http://jeffersonracingnews.blogspot.com/

Covering auto racing for over 30 years. Writing, announcing, consulting, supporting the sport.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.