Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 04/19/24 at 1:07am

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerSaturday Night RacerSATURDAY NIGHT RACER › Chowchilla Speedway Races On Sunday

Pages: 1
Chowchilla Speedway Races On Sunday (Read 1015 times)
C.W.
LMR Mod

DCRR Racing Media

Chowchilla Speedway Races On Sunday
04/27/15 at 2:41pm

They race in Sunday afternoon at Chowchilla Speedway.  Just thought I'd put something out there so people knew.  As always, I am unofficial.  Just trying to help the cause Smiley

Racing Resumes On Sunday At Chowchilla Speedway

Racing returns to Chowchilla Speedway on Sunday afternoon for the fourth event of the season.  The regular four divisions will return, including IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Sport Modifieds, Hobby Stocks and Mini Stocks.

2014 champion Joshua Vogt of Santa Maria is anticipated as he tries for a third straight IMCA Modified victory.  He is currently 19 points behind Bakersfield's Billy Wilker and closing fast.  Vogt is a force on the IMCA Modified circuit and won the Main Event last week at Ventura Raceway.  Chowchilla's Michael Shearer is third in the standings, 27 points behind.

Chowchilla's Rick Diaz was a Top 3 driver in the IMCA Sport Mod point standings last season and is currently just eight points behind Brentwood's Fred Ryland going into Sunday.  Diaz finished second last time out to Pittsburgh's Keith Brown Jr.  Merced point leader Josh Hensley is only 18 points out of the lead in third.

Two of Chowchilla's top locals in Hobby Stock competition, Kode Dean and Austin Van Hoff, are anticipated for this race.  The duo were second and third, respectively, in points last year, and Van Hoff is currently second in the standings.  

Van Hoff trails Kevin Joaquin of Sonora by 20 points after Joaquin's second feature win of the season two weeks ago.  Dean finished fourth in the competitive field, one position behind a past Chowchilla Mini Stock champion, Robbie Loquaci.

Speaking of Mini Stocks, Chris Corder of Stockton will be out to maintain his 56 point lead over Alex Odishoo.  The competitive division has three different winners.  Antioch's Brent Curran won the most recent race.  Merced's Darren Miguel and Corder are the other winners.

These four divisions put on a good show, and the racing is sure to be exciting on Sunday.  Chowchilla Speedway is located at the Chowchilla Madera County Fairgrounds on S. 5th Street in Chowchilla.

Admission is $12 for adults, $10 for senior citizens and $8 for children 6-12. A family four pack of tickets admits two children and two adults for $32. Racing begins at 3 p.m.

DCRR Racing Media
http://dcrrbook.blogspot.com/
http://jeffersonracingnews.blogspot.com/

Covering auto racing for over 30 years. Writing, announcing, consulting, supporting the sport.
WWW   IP Logged
C.W.
LMR Mod

DCRR Racing Media

Re: Chowchilla Speedway Races On Sunday
Reply #1 - 04/30/15 at 10:38pm

Well, that little blurb ended up in the Chowchilla News.  Nice little local paper.  Back in the day when the track was first going, I used to stay up early Saturday morning to make sure that paper and the others got the news. Did it for two years.  Hard to believe it's been 15 years since that track opened.  You're still crazy, Tom Wink

Anyway, a few other observations for Sunday...

Joshua Vogt won again at Ventura.  I'm assuming he'll be trying for three in a row at Chowchilla.  Can anybody stop him?  I love seeing the name of the driver who just inquired aboiut coming.  He's always entertaining, and he could win.  I'll leave the name out for now. I'm thinking 8-10 IMCA Modifieds Sunday.  You just never know who will come.

Tom has done what he can with the track and with John at the track on Sunday, I think quicker decisions will be made for water on the track as needed.

I've heard Marissa Odgers is planning to be there in her Sport Mod.  Not surprised by that.  If Chris Falkenberg's car is ready, I won't be surprised to see him either.  He is a Hobby Stock champ there as well.  Was running as high as third last race before contact left him with some rear suspension damage.  Thinking maybe 10-14 cars here.

One thing about Chowchilla is that you never really know who will show up from race to race.  Being that this is a Sunday afternoon, it could mean just about anything.

Hobby Stocks.  Kevin Joaquin has been the class of the field so far, but I have my eye on the two locals there, Austin Van Hoff an Kode Dean.  I recall back in the day when it was Jack Van Hoff and Tim Dean racing Hobbys. Austin and Kode are good.  I want to say 8-12 cars here too.    Last time, Nick Lawrence made a race day decision to come out, missed the heats and went from 12th to 6th at the finish.  Not bad for his second start in that car.

Chris Corder was the first to step up and make a decision to to run for Mini Stock points.  His lead is pretty big over Alex Odishoo, who also announces at Merced.  Odishoo was leading the last race for a while and ended up third.  Brent Curran won in his first start of the year.  With Antioch dropping the class, he pretty much has to travel if he wants to race.  So, Corder and Odishoo seem likely.  Beyond that...  If Darren Miguel's not running Josh Hensley's Hobby Stock, he might be in a Mini.  My guess is 6-10 cars.

If car count is where it was last time, and I think there's a good chance it will be, the show will be good.  Plus, the powers that be will attack the track conditions harder this time and try to keep things under control Smiley

DCRR Racing Media
http://dcrrbook.blogspot.com/
http://jeffersonracingnews.blogspot.com/

Covering auto racing for over 30 years. Writing, announcing, consulting, supporting the sport.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.