Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 04/25/24 at 11:58am

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerSaturday Night RacerSATURDAY NIGHT RACER › Five Divisions To Race At Chowchilla Speedway

Pages: 1
Five Divisions To Race At Chowchilla Speedway (Read 815 times)
C.W.
LMR Mod

DCRR Racing Media

Five Divisions To Race At Chowchilla Speedway
06/12/15 at 7:11pm

Five divisions will be on hand this Saturday night at Chowchilla Speedway, and optimism his high for a good show all the way around.  On the card for this event will be IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Sport Modifieds, Hobby Stocks, Limited Late Models and Mini Stocks.

In his last start, things didn't go so well for Santa Maria's Josh Vogt, but the three time winner and defending IMCA Modified  champion is still leading Modesto's Danny Luukkonen by just 13 points.  Ray Mayer is third in the standings, and all three are anticipated for this show.  John Osgood III of Ceres was hot lapping his car last week in preparation for the show, and rumors are a big name or two from one of the other tracks could be on hand.

Chowchilla already has the biggest name in IMCA Sport Mods at its track, and that is Bentwood's Fred Ryland.  After his fifth win of the season, Ryland now holds a 57 point lead over Keith Brown Jr. of Pittsburg.  Madera's Nastasia Dodd is seven points behind Brown, and these three are expected to be among the field.  Dodd survived for a fourth place finish last week ahead of impressive teenage newcomer Chase Thomas of Atwater, who was making just his second start ever.

Hobby Stock point leader and two time winner Kevin Joaquin of Sonora had a good night in second last week after spinning early.  Joaquin stretched his lead to 42 points over Chowchilla's Austin Van Hoff, who finished fourth in the Main Event.  Van Hoff has just a 34 point lead over Turlock's Gary Hildebrand, with Chowchilla's Kodie Dean only four points behind him.  All four are anticipated to be back to put on another show this week.

Speaking of shows, Modesto's Chris Corder was the star of the show in Mini Stocks after his third win last week.  Corder holds the biggest point lead at the track of 70 points in front of Merced's Alex Odishoo.  Odishoo got his misfiring car back to the line in third last week after being passed by his closest rival, Mike Congdon of Madera.  Congdon is only 16 points behind Odishoo, and these three are anticipated on Saturday.

Mark Garner of Antioch holds a commanding lead in Limited Late Model points at Merced Speedway and is anticipated for Saturday's race.  Garner has won four of the the six features at Merced and all six heat races.  His closest rival, Scott Van Gelder of Columbia, is anticipated, along with last week's winner Roy Hart Jr. of Dos Palos. and possibly Mariposa's Buddy Thatcher.

These five divisions put on a good show, and the racing is sure to be exciting on Saturday.  Chowchilla Speedway is located at the Chowchilla Madera County. Fairgrounds on S. 5th Street in Chowchilla. Racing begins at 6 p.m.

Chowchilla Speedway Top 5 At A Glance

IMCA Modified

Josh Vogt     146
Danny Luukkonen 133
Ray Mayer     103
Billy Wilker     98
Kyle Wilson     93

IMCA Sport Mod

Fred Ryland     234
Keith Brown Jr. 177
Nastasia Dodd     170
Marisa Odgers     164
Josh Hensley     160

Hobby Stock

Kevin Joaquin     252
Austin Van Hoff 210
Gary Hildebrand 176
Kode Dean     172
Dexter Long     114

Mini Stock

Chris Corder     306
Alex Odishoo     236
Mike Congdon     220
Jadon Harrington 102
Brian Widdowson 98

Limited Late Model

Mark Garner     332
Scott Van Gelder 184
Buddy Thatcher     152
Peggy Sue Jarred 144
Roy Hart     140

Notes:

When I threw this article together, I was unaware that Santa Maria has IMCA Modifieds on their schedule, meaning Josh Vogt has a choice to make.  At this point, I think he'll be at Santa Maria, were he can ill afford to miss the race and still have a shot at the championship.  I believe he can miss a race at Chowchilla and still come back and win the championship.  Danny Luukkonen would need to run much stronger than he has been if Vogt continues to run the way he has.  So, the better Danny can do on Saturday, the better his chances to hold the point lead if Vogt does miss this race.

I'm not thinking there will be a huge field of Modifoeds.  Of the Top 5 at Merced, I can only guess that Bill Egleston could be there.  If Buddy Thatcher decided to run his Limited Late Model, then you might see Ricky Thatcher in his Modified.  I doubt Bob Williamson or John MacDougall will be there John  is saving his car for Merced and really wants to win that championship.

The Wilson brothers have been known to come to Antioch when Merced is dark, but I'm thinking they will be in Chowchilla.  Kyle just moved into the Top 5 at Chowchilla, and he very well could be the driver to beat if he's there.  Not really sure what car count will be like, but I usually say 8-12 cars in this situation.

That could be the case in Sport Mods where Fred Ryland has a pretty good lead after Keith Brown Jr. and Josh Gish missed last week.  It's not like Ryland is a surprise as point leader with five wins in six starts, but Brown feels confident he can beat him.  So, the Ryland-Brown battle should continue, and we suspect Ryland will have one or two others with him to help car count, which may include his wife Patti.

Marisa Odgers, Nastasia Dodd and Josh Hensley appear to be the battle for third in points, and I suspect all three will be there.  Josh Gish will be a part of that as long as he gets back out there this week.  Rick Diaz could creep back into that battle, though I don't suspect he will.  Having won the Merced Fair race, it won't be a surprise to see Diaz or Jeremy Hoff in the field

It's not enough just to lead the point race.  Kevin Joaquin wants to win races this year.  He has two wins and was second last time out behind surprise Watsobville visitor Joe Willhoughby.  As Watsonville is dark to this division this week, there could be a few visitors in this class and Sport Mods as well.  There was a Watsonville presence in Sport Mods at Merced this week.  

But, a win for Joaquin could meet resistance not just from  Watsonville invaders.  We are thinking the Shearer cars could be there in Hobbys and the pretty #67 Sport Mod as well, though this is unconfirmed.  Don't get the impression that there aren't some regulars who could pop off with a win.  Austin Van Hoff, Kodie Dean and Gary Hildebrand are three we anticipate will compete who are fast.

Chis Corder and Alex Odishoo have a friendly little rivalry in Mini Stocks that has been fun to watch.  Corder won for the third time last week.  The only thing keeping him from winning the previous week was Odishoo, who won aboard his red, white and blue#48 car.  If that car is running right, Alex could win.  Having pocketed a special $100 first prize at Merced last night, it's anybody's guess if Merced point leader Darren Miguel will be there, but we hope so. It's a guessing game who will come, but third ranked Mike Congdon is likely to be there.   Robert Jackson made his first Chowchiila start last week and could be there as well.

Likewise, we really don't know who might be there in Limited Late Models,  I'm hoping the Merced drivers will come race, but we'll just have to see.

DCRR Racing Media
http://dcrrbook.blogspot.com/
http://jeffersonracingnews.blogspot.com/

Covering auto racing for over 30 years. Writing, announcing, consulting, supporting the sport.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.