Home | Help | Search | Login

Welcome, Guest. Please Login 04/25/24 at 1:43pm

KEIZER

Pages: 1
Josh Richards Shows a Champion's Grace in Series Doubleheader (Read 2781 times)
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Josh Richards Shows a Champion's Grace in Series Doubleheader
05/11/10 at 1:48pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 10th, 2010

Josh Richards Shows a Champion's Grace during World of Outlaws
Late Model Series Doubleheader

SHINNSTON, W. Va. - May 10, 2010 - Josh Richards showed a champion's grace during a weekend World of Outlaws Late Model Series doubleheader in the Midwest. From the humility he demonstrated following a heartbreaking defeat on Friday night (May 7) at Lincoln (Ill.) Speedway to the positive manner he handled a frustrating, hard-luck outing on Saturday night (May 8) at Bluegrass Speedway in Bardstown, Ky., the defending WoO LMS titlist proved he is mature beyond his 22 years.

Shinnston, W.Va.'s Richards could have sulked after the ending of Friday night's Land of Lincoln 50 which saw the young sensation become a victim of circumstance on the final lap. He rallied to take the lead from Shane Clanton on lap 43 and appeared headed to his series-leading third victory of the 2010 season, but rounding turn three on the last lap he tangled with a lapped car and lost momentum, allowing Clanton to roar around the outside and win a drag race to the finish line by mere inches.

Nevertheless, after settling for a runner-up finish to Clanton, Richards flashed his professionalism by calmly accepting the loss and congratulating Clanton for a job well done.

"I didn't know how far ahead I was," Richards said of the race's last lap. "I thought maybe I'd creep around the bottom underneath that 24 car (Ryan Unzicker) and clear him going down the back straightaway, but I didn't get enough of a run and I slowed way up. Then he came down and we just got hooked. I was stopped almost before I could get going again.

"When I came off four I still thought we might have the win, but as soon as we crossed the checkered flag I turned down to one and saw a flash of yellow - Clanton's car. Then I realized Clanton beat us to the line.

"It's very aggravating that it happened, but we're still in a tight battle for the points so in the big picture we got a good finish. I much rather would have won, but Clanton ran a nice race. We had an awesome car and everyone did a great job."

Richards came back on Saturday night with a solid qualifying effort at Bluegrass Speedway, the high-banked, half-mile oval where he ran his first dirt Late Model event in the 2003 Future Dirt Track World Championship special for up-and-coming young drivers. He timed third-fastest in time trials and won a heat race.

Drawing the fifth starting spot for the 50-lap My Old Kentucky Home Shootout Richards slipped back slightly at the start but was still running inside the top when he cut a right-rear tire on his Mark Richards Racing Enterprises Rocket car on lap 25 forcing him to the pit area for a tire change under caution. After quick changing the tire under caution he returned to climb back to 12th by the finish.

"This was just one of those nights where you have to do the best you can with what you got," said Richards, noting that his team missed the optimum setup combination for the A-Main. "I fell back early and was just holding on, not making any time, before we cut a tire on something. The car definitely came to life a lot better after that, but all you can at that point is get up through there the best you can.

"We're gonna have nights like this. We had 'em last year, and we learned you just gotta work through 'em and take the bad with the good and focus on the big picture."

Richards ended the weekend sitting second in the WoO LMS points standings, 10 points behind leader Tim McCreadie through 12 events. He will race closer to home with the WoO LMS this weekend, visiting Delaware International Speedway in Delmar on Thurs., May 13, and Hagerstown (Md.) Speedway on Sat., May 15.

For more information on Josh Richards, visit www.joshrichards.com follow on Twitter @Josh_Richards1.

Josh Richards's No. 1 team carries support from Rocket Chassis, Cornett Racing Engines, Seubert Calf Ranches, Ernie D's Enterprises, ACE Metal Works, Petroff Towing, Tony Stewart Racing, Sunoco Race Fuels, Hoosier Racing Tires, Integra Shocks, Slavic Custom Decals, Valvoline, AEM, AFCO, ATL Fuel Cells, Aurora Bearing Company, Autolite, Banshee Graphics, Barnes Systems, Beyea Performance, Brinn Transmissions, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Braswell Carburetion, Butlerbuilt Seat Systems, CV Products, Dohm Cycles, Dyer's Top Rods, Fram Filters, Frankland Rearends, Howe Racing, Kwik Change Product, LSI, Mason Racin', MSD Ignition, Outerwears, Performance Bodies, Performance Friction Brakes, Performance Rod & Custom, Ringers Gloves, Scott Performance Wire, Simpson Race Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Tel Tech, TWM Racing Products, Trick Carbon Fiber Driveshafts, Jones Racing Products, TurboStart Racing Batteries, US Brake, Weld Racing Wheels, Wehr's Machine, Wilwood and Wrisco Aluminum.

WORLD OF OUTLAWS LATE MODELS
Point Standings
May 10, 2010

1 39 Tim McCreadie Watertown, NY 1688
2 1 Josh Richards Shinnston, WV 1,678
3 29 Darrell Lanigan Union, KY 1642
4 15 Steve Francis Ashland, KY 1570
5 19 Tim Fuller Watertown, NY 1570
6 19 Austin Hubbard Seaford, DE 1562
7 24 Rick Eckert York, PA 1518
8 2 Brady Smith Solon Springs, WI 1516
9 1* Chub Frank Bear Lake, PA 1502
10 25 Shane Clanton Locust Grove, GA 1488
11 44 Clint Smith Senoia, GA 1466
12 56 Russ King Bristolville, OH 1344
13 3 Brent Robinson Smithfield, VA 1256
14 15B Brian Birkhofer Muscatine, IA 830
15 22 Jill George Cedar Falls, IA 730
16 21 Billy Moyer Batesville, AR 696
17 18 Shannon Babb Moweaqua, IL 682
18 s9 Dan Schlieper Sullivan, WI 660
19 26 Tony Knowles Tyrone, GA 638
20 12 Jordan Bland Campbellsville, KY 630

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Latemodelracer.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.