Home | Help | Search | Login

Welcome, Guest. Please Login 10/23/19 at 10:56pm

KEIZER

Pages: 1
Red Clay Report - Back to Racing Again (Read 1977 times)
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Red Clay Report - Back to Racing Again
06/03/11 at 1:07am

Back To Racin' Again

Late Model Mark
Pinson, Alabama (June 2, 2011)
It's sure been awhile since the last Red Clay Report but it's time to bang away on the keyboads again. I haven't gone to that many shows so far in 2011, a case of minor burnout from last year I reckon. 2010 found me at 60 races at 23 tracks in 5 states, it got kind of crazy at some points. At the end of the year I told myself that in 2011, I would be more selective and not chase as many races or tracks as in the past. I have not lost the fire, it was just time to be a tick more picky on the shows. Of course near $4.00 dollar a gallon gas helped in slowing things down. This edition of the RCR will be about the last couple of weeks and some shows coming up in the near future.

March was the last race I hit until late April, the WoO Late Model show at Columbus in March, was a ripper as the crowd was huge, the car count nice, and the race a smoker. It was weeks later that I got back into the swings of things, on April 30th I hit night 2 at North Alabama Speedway for the P.R.O. Series event, it was a two night stand, the car count was decent and the crowd was ok, the night before on night one, the crowd and car count was quite good, this Saturday night, the track was in good shape as Green Valley Speedway track prep guru Scott Morris was brought in to massage the track. The track was re-cut and groomed and gave the nice field a super track to haul the mail and race. North Alabama is one fast joint that requires skills to navigate. Josh Putnam won an entertaining race in his Bob Pierce ride. I am so glad that Jeff Greer has kept the place open despite the tough economy.

A couple of weeks later it was time to hit one of my favorite joints, the cool Moulton Speedway. Back in the saddle as the promoter is Bobby Carey, he promoted the track in 2009 and has kept the track going in 2011. This night had a unsanctioned $2000-to-win show and it was as usual, a fun night at the family track. A quality field filled the pits and a nice crowd was on hand. The track was in excellent shape, really good in fact, multi-grooved, fast, racy and dust free. The Crumb family who own the track are some of the sweetest people on earth, they treat everyone like "kin." It was one wild feature with many lead changes and some misfortune, example, after starting 8th and working the top 3 on the outside in turns 1 & 2, Ronnie Johnson got a flat, went to the rear and charged back to fifth, the story of the race was an upset win by T.J. Alford who charged around the top to take the win over a talented field. Always enjoy the trip up to Moulton.

Then the next deal was a S.R.R.S. show at the Dennis Harker owned Green Valley Speedway in Glencoe, Alabama. Call it corny, but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I go the the "jungle," There is something really cool about this track, it may be a specials only track in 2011 but it has not diminished anything about the racing or the vibe of the joint. This night I had the privledge of helping "Big" Ross Tingle call the races. This was really special to me for many reasons, my late friend, the great Perry Holman had called the races at GVS for years, it was an honor to help Ross call the race. Let's just say this, I'm being real and straight here, it's really cool to sit next to Ross, to listen, to learn, to hear a pro, something really special. Ross made me feel right at home, I respect him to the utmost, we laughed and had a ball. This night a local church, Oak Grove Baptist Church was on hand to raise money for the tornado victims, the track auctioned off rides in the Green Valley Speedway 2-seater Late Model driven by the likes of Anthony Burroughs, Ronnie Johnson and others. When all was said and done, a whooping $3000 dollars was raised. Oh yea, the 40 lap feature was a slobberknocker won by Anthony Burroughs, so many twists and turns in this feature, I drove home with a giant smile after this show, just got me fired up to go racing some more.

So this Saturday night it's off to Mississippi to hit the Governors Cup at the ultra cool Magnolia Motor Speedway, they call it the "Mag." Home of the black ice, it's a nice $5-grander so the field should be large and stout. June and July will be real busy around here so I'll be burnin' up the road in the ole Dodge, dang, I love Late Models, the most competive cars on dirt!!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Latemodelracer.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.