Home | Help | Search | Login

Welcome, Guest. Please Login 05/19/24 at 6:01pm

KEIZER

Pages: 1
WoOLMS at Cedar Lake Speedway - 8/6 Results (Read 8093 times)
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
WoOLMS at Cedar Lake Speedway - 8/6 Results
08/05/11 at 10:24pm

USA Nationals
Cedar Lake Speedway
August 6, 2011

Richards Makes Saturday’s USA Nationals At Cedar Lake Speedway His Long-Awaited First Crown-Jewel Victory

by Kevin Kovac
NEW RICHMOND, WI – Aug. 6, 2011 – Josh Richards finally has a victory in a crown-jewel dirt Late Model event on his resume.

The 23-year-old star’s breakthrough performance came on Saturday night in the 24th annual USA Nationals presented by U.S. Steel at Cedar Lake Speedway, a three-eighths-mile oval that will forever be close to his heart.

“It hasn’t even sunk in yet,” Shinnston, W.Va.’s Richards said when asked to describe his emotions following a 100-lap World of Outlaws Late Model Series triumph worth $50,125. “This place has always been real special to me. Back in 2000 whenever Davey Johnson was driving for us (his father Mark’s Rocket Chassis house car) I remember coming here and watching the (USA Nationals). I was just in awe. I just fell in love with this track at a young age.

“To finally get (a crown-jewel win) – and here at Cedar Lake – it really means a lot.”

Richards, who witnessed his father’s familiar No. 1 reach Victory Lane in the 2000 USA Nationals with Johnson behind the wheel, returned his dad to the spotlight at Cedar Lake with a savvy performance. He spent more than half the distance chasing polesitter Jason Rauen of Farley, Iowa – a 31-year-old seeking a monumental upset win in his first-ever USA Nationals and WoO LMS starts – before diving underneath the upstart to grab the lead on lap 78.

The remainder of the distance served as a valedictory ride for Richards, who beat two-time USA Nationals winners Brian Birkhofer of Muscatine, Iowa, and Jimmy Mars of Menomonie, Wis., to the finish line despite driving a car that sported significant left-side body damage from a lap-65 tangle that nearly ended his bid. It was his fifth WoO LMS win of 2011 and the 33rd of his career.

Rauen, who led laps 1-77, settled for a fourth-place finish, nearly a half-lap behind Richards at the checkered flag. WoO LMS regular Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky., completed the top five after starting 18th, nursing home a car that was hampered by an overheating engine caused by a hole in its radiator.

Richards’s long-awaited first win in one of dirt Late Model racing’s biggest events came in his eighth year of action in the full-fender division. After several near-misses in majors, he seemed to finally uncover the secret to success on a grand extra-distance stage, pushing his machine just hard enough to stay within striking distance of the leader and then making his move in the race’s late stages.

“That track condition is definitely what I prefer,” Richards said of Cedar Lake’s fast surface, which was left heavy after a late-afternoon thunderstorm caused a one-hour delay in the start of the evening’s program. “You gotta be aggressive, but yet somewhat smooth. Momentum is the biggest key on a track like that. You gotta do your best to try to get a rhythm that’s comfortable, but yet you’re fast and not killing your tires.”

Richards, who started fourth, swapped second place twice with Mars early in the 100 before securing the spot on lap 30. The two-time defending WoO LMS champion then found a formidable foe in Rauen, who had the capacity crowd thinking upset as he maintained command with cushion-pounding style.

But Richards wasn’t going to be denied a milestone victory.

“I knew that (turns) one and two was getting treacherous, so I just figured there was enough brown off the bottom of two that if I could stick down there and (Rauen) made a mistake, then we could go,” said Richards, whose father’s car was powered by a Roush-Yates Ford engine for the second straight WoO LMS event. “I think when we moved down, he started to move down and he slipped up one time off two. I was able to get a run off of two (and grab the lead).

“I wasn’t gonna let up from then on. I just kept looking at the scoreboard and counting the laps down.”

Richards wasn’t challenged once in front, driving away to defeat Birkhofer by 2.009 seconds. But the two drivers did get close midway through the race while battling for second – an encounter that provided Richards his most notable scare.

On lap 65, Birkhofer drove to the inside of Richards entering turn one. Contact between the two cars caused Richards to slide sideways in turn two, triggering a chain-reaction scramble that ended with Richards’s good buddy, Jared Hawkins of Fairmount, W.Va., hitting Richards in the left-side door and then rolling to a stop on the inside of the track.

The race’s eighth and final caution flag was put out for Hawkins, who was running fifth at the time but was unceremoniously towed off. Richards managed to keep his car moving and was thus able to restart in second place.

During the caution period Richards drove alongside Birkhofer to express his displeasure with the contact that nearly knocked him from the race. He proceeded to briefly lose second to Birkhofer on the ensuing restart before regaining the position with an outside thrust off turn four on lap 66.

“I have a lot of respect for Brian Birkhofer,” Richards said of the incident. “I guess he just thought that I crowded him up on that restart, but when you’re the second-place guy that’s always your goal – to hold the guy up as long as possible and turn left. I guess he thought I held him up too far and he showed it that next restart and drove in there.

“He’s going for the win just as much as we were, so I can understand. But I guess he kind of lit a fuse a little bit. From then on the only thing I was focused on was that eagle (the wooden USA Nationals trophy), and we finally got it.

“I’ve always wanted to win this race,” he added. “It means a lot to me. We got this one, but there’s a few more on the (crown-jewel) list that I’d definitely like to win.”

Birkhofer, 39, wasn’t happy about the situation with Richards, but he spoke with Richards following the race and conceded that the young standout was a deserving victor.

“I didn’t like how he wasn’t giving me any room on those restarts, so I kinda went in there...I got into him for a reason,” said Birkhofer, who drove his MB Customs car forward from the 24th starting spot to a $20,000 runner-up finish after gaining entry to the A-Main thanks to a provisional berth he held from winning Thursday night’s Dart Corn Belt Clash Series event. “You give me some room, I’ll give you some room. Hey, he did a great job racing, but all I was wanting was a little bit of respect for my space.

“Me and Josh had a good talk afterward, so as far as I’m concerned there’s no problem.

“We just had to better,” he continued. “I got to where I was a little too tight on entry. I got up there and Josh had the better car.”

The 39-year-old Mars, meanwhile, appeared to be a contender for a third USA Nationals crown after starting second and tussling with Richards for the spot during the race’s first half. But one miscue cost him dearly, contributing to his third-place finish.

“I had a really good car and I went and jumped the cushion and wrecked a right-front shock,” said Mars, recalling his slip early in the race that allowed Richards to grab second place. “I don’t know what happened to it, but after that I was never right. I couldn’t drive up on the top like I was. I felt real good up on the top before that.

“But no excuse – I screwed up, so I gotta live with it.”

Rauen crossed the finish line 8.456 seconds – more than a half-lap – behind Richards after pacing the field for 77 circuits. He was understandably disappointed to fall short of a historic upset victory, but fourth place was still a better finish than he ever could have imagined.

“When I started that last restart (on lap 65) I didn’t do what I was doing,” said Rauen. “I started kind of in the middle, and I kind of buzzed the tires and they got a run on me. Then they showed their nose and I tried too hard. It was a little inexperience.”

Rauen paused, and then added, “I thought and thought of it (winning), but of course it didn’t happen. But against this caliber of cars, this is like a win for us. We do this for a hobby, so this is great.”

Brian Shirley of Chatham, Ill., finished sixth, settling for the position after losing fifth to Lanigan on lap 96. Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky., was seventh; defending USA Nationals winner Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn., was a quiet eighth after starting 23rd; Chris Simpson of Oxford, Iowa, took ninth after pitting on lap 44; and Dennis Erb Jr. of Carpentersville, Ill., was the first driver one lap down at the finish in 10 th.

Among the notable early retirees was WoO LMS points leader Rick Eckert of York, Pa., who was running fourth on lap 37 when his car slowed in a cloud of smoke due to a busted oil line, and 18-year-old Brandon Sheppard of New Berlin, Ill., who was in fifth place (after climbing as high as third) when a broken fuel pump caused him to stop on lap 64.

Saturday’s program kicked off with a pair of 20-lap B-Mains won by Shirley and Jason Feger of Bloomington, Ill. WoO LMS Rookie of the Year points leader Pat Doar of New Richmond, Wis., captured the 15-lap Last Chance Race to transfer to the USA Nationals.

During the second B-Main WoO LMS regular Clint Smith of Senoia, Ga., was involved in a turn-two tangle that caused his car to flip onto its roof. He suffered a minor injury to his left big toe but was otherwise uninjured.

The WoO LMS will remain in the Midwest for one more night of racing on Monday evening (Aug. 8) at Independence (Iowa) Motor Speedway. The 50-lap, $10,000-to-win event was postponed by rain on its original July 12 date.

For more information on the WoO LMS, visit www.worldofoutlaws.com.

Results of WoO Late Model Series ‘24th annual USA Nationals presented by U.S. Steel’ at Cedar Lake Speedway (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (4) Josh Richards/100 $50,125
2. (24) Brian Birkhofer/100 $20,100
3. (2) Jimmy Mars/100 $10,000
4. (1) Jason Rauen/100 $6,500
5. (18) Darrell Lanigan/100 $5,050
6. (16) Brian Shirley/100 $4,500
7. (12) Steve Francis/100 $4,300
8. (23) Scott Bloomquist/100 $4,000
9. (9) Chris Simpson/100 $3,750
10. (7) Dennis Erb Jr./99 $3,500
11. (13) Frankie Heckenast Jr./99 $3,250
12. (6) Ronny Lee Hollingsworth/99 $3,050
13. (17) Jason Feger/81 $2,850
14. (14) Jared Hawkins/65 $2,650
15. (10) Brandon Sheppard/63 $2,500
16. (15) Jared Landers/62 $2,400
17. (11) Brady Smith/48 $2,300
18. (3) Chad Simpson/47 $2,200
19. (20) Austin Hubbard/43 $2,150
20. (19) Dan Schlieper/37 $2,075
21. (5) Rick Eckert/37 $2,100
22. (22) Pat Doar/37 $2,075
23. (21) Billy Moyer/25 $2,060
24. (26) Shane Clanton/24 $2,050
25. (25) Tim McCreadie/24 $2,050
26. (8) A.J. Diemel/2 $2,025
* Earnings include cash contingency award bonuses

Time of Race: 46 Mins., 29.169 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 2.009 Secs.
Yellow Flags: 8 (Laps 3, 25, 37, 44, 48, 63, 64, 65)
Lap Leaders: Rauen (1-77); Richards (78-100)
Provisional Starters: Birkhofer (Thursday Corn Belt Clash A-Main); McCreadie, Clanton (WoO)

B-Main No. 1 (20 laps – Top 3 Transfer): 1. Brian Shirley, 2. Darrell Lanigan, 3. Austin Hubbard, 4. Shane Clanton, 5. Scott Bloomquist, 6. Pat Doar, 7. Mike Spatola, 8. Daren Friedman, 9. Don O’Neal, 10. Kent Robinson, 11. Randy Korte, 12. Jill George, 13. Brian Birkhofer, 14. Andrew McKay, 15. Chub Frank, 16. Tim Fuller, 17. Tim McCreadie, 18. Stew Hayward, 19. John Lobb

B-Main No. 2 (20 laps – Top 3 Transfer): 1. Jason Feger, 2. Dan Schlieper, 3. Billy Moyer, 4. Jonathan Davenport, 5. Tyler Reddick, 6. Lance Matthees, 7. Eric Smith, 8. Dustin Hapka, 9. Ron Davies, 10. Ray Moore, 11. Bryan Wennen, 12. Clint Smith, 13. Jimmy Dehm, 14. Ross Bailes, 15. Vic Coffey, 16. Chip Brindle (DNS) Jason Utter, Tim Isenberg, Shannon Babb

Last Chance Race (15 laps – Top 2 Transfer): 1. Pat Doar; 2. Scott Bloomquist; 3. Tyler Reddick ($1,000); 4. Kent Robinson ($800); 5. Lance Matthees ($600); 6. Jonathan Davenport ($500); 7. Daren Friedman ($475); 8. Eric Smith ($450); 9. Mike Spatola ($425); 10. Dustin Hapka ($410); 11. Ron Davies ($400); 12. Jill George ($400); Shane Clanton-DNS; Don O’Neal-DNS; Ray Moore-DNS

WWW   IP Logged
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Re: WoOLMS at Cedar Lake Speedway - 8/5 Results
Reply #1 - 08/06/11 at 7:38pm

USA Nationals
Cedar Lake Speedway
August 5, 2011

Iowa’s Jason Rauen Pulls Off Surprise Sweep Of Qualifying Night To Earn Pole Starting Spot In USA Nationals At Cedar Lake Speedway

NEW RICHMOND, WI – Aug. 5, 2011 – Jason Rauen of Farley, Iowa, surprised even himself with a clean sweep of Friday night’s qualifying program for the USA Nationals presented by U.S. Steel at Cedar Lake Speedway.

An upstart 31-year-old dirt Late Model driver making just his third career appearance at the high-banked, three-eighths-mile oval, Rauen was fastest in the 54-car Ohlins Shocks Time Trials session, won a heat race and captured the 10-lap dash to earn the pole position starting spot in Saturday night’s 24th annual 100-lap, $50,000-to-win A-Main. He will lead the field to the green flag in what will be both his first-ever start in the USA Nationals and a World of Outlaws Late Model Series event.

“I had no idea we would do this tonight,” said an awestruck Rauen, who operates a precision machine shop alongside his father in their home town of Farley, Iowa. “Our goal was just to make the show. Then we timed good, came out of the heat good with a win and won the dash.

“I don’t want to have a big head, but it feels good. We’ve had a tough last month of racing with a lot of issues and problems, so this is a great rebound. Hopefully we can keep it up tomorrow night and come out of here with a good finish.”

Rauen started third in the dash, which pitted the top-two finishers from each of the night’s five 15-lap heat races in a sprint to determine the alignment of the first five rows in Saturday evening’s USA Nationals. He was moved to the pole, however, when Chris Simpson of Oxford, Iowa, was penalized two spots for starting the race too early and took advantage of the break, leading the entire distance with his MB Customs/ProPower combination.

Jimmy Mars of Menomonie, Wis., passed Chad Simpson of Mt. Vernon, Iowa, with two laps remaining in the dash to finish second and secure the outside pole starting spot in the 100-lapper. Mars, who also was a runner-up in his heat, is a two-time winner of the USA Nationals.

Chad Simpson held on to finish third, followed by two-time defending WoO LMS champion Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., and current WoO LMS points leader Rick Eckert of York, Pa. All three drivers won heat races and will start the USA Nationals from the positions they placed in the dash.

Rounding out the top 10 in the dash was first-heat winner Ronny Lee Hollingsworth of Newport, Ala.; Dennis Erb Jr. of Carpentersville, Ill.; A.J. Diemel of Bonduel, Wis., who used a steel-block engine; Chris Simpson; and 18-year-old Brandon Sheppard of New Berlin, Ill.

Rauen, whose qualifying lap of 13.484 seconds fell short of the Cedar Lake track record (12.972 seconds) he established on June 17 during the speedway’s DIRTcar Summer Nationals event, knows he has a supreme challenge ahead of him on Saturday night.

“We know our team’s working and our cars and everything are clicking,” said Rauen, whose car is wrenched by Eckert’s former chief mechanic Zach Frields. “But 100 laps is a long race when you have the best in the business behind you. The guys starting behind me have been around this place a lot more than I have – I mean, Jimmy (Mars) has thousands of laps here – so if we can hold them off it’ll be a hell of an accomplishment.”

Mars and Eckert were the only previous USA Nationals winners to crack Saturday’s starting field through a heat race. Five-time victors Billy Moyer of Batesville, Ark., and Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn., finished fourth and sixth, respectively, in the third heat, and two-time champion Brian Birkhofer of Muscatine, Iowa, missed transferring by two positions in the second preliminary.

Birkhofer is guaranteed a starting berth in the USA Nationals, however, because he won Thursday’s Dart Corn Belt Clash Series feature at Cedar Lake. The highest finisher in that race who does not qualify for the 100-lapper will receive a provisional spot.

The qualifying heats were tough on several contenders, including:

* Don O’Neal of Martinsville, Ind., who was knocked out of the second heat with left-front damage sustained in a lap-10 scrape with Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky., as they battled for the final transfer position.

* Shannon Babb of Moweaqua, Ill., who pulled off the track during the pace lap of the second heat due to a broken brake caliper.

* Jonathan Davenport of Blairsville, Ga., and Shane Clanton of Fayetteville, Ga., and who tangled in turn two while running second and third, respectively, on lap six of the fourth heat. Clanton spun while Davenport was forced to the pit area to change a cut left-rear tire; both drivers continued but Clanton was nipped for fourth by Dan Schlieper of Sullivan, Wis., and Davenport placed sixth.

Saturday’s grand finale program, which includes B-Mains, a last-chance race and the 100-lap USA Nationals plus a full show for Cedar Lake’s NASCAR Late Models, is scheduled to begin with hot laps at 6:30 p.m.

Dash
1 98X Jason Rauen Farley, IA
2 28M Jimmy Mars Menomonie, WI
3 25S Chad Simpson Mt. Vernon, IA
4 1 Josh Richards Shinnston, WV
5 24 Rick Eckert York, PA
6 18 R.L. Hollingsworth Northport, AL
7 28e Dennis Erb Jr Carpentersville, IL
8 58 A.J. Diemel Bonduel, WI
9 32 Chris Simpson Oxford, IA
10 b5 Brandon Sheppard New Berlin, IL

Heat #1    
1 18 R.L. Hollingsworth Northport, AL
2 58 A.J. Diemel Bonduel, WI
3 2 Brady Smith Solon Springs, WI
4 19F Tim Fuller Watertown, NY
5 11t Tyler Reddick Corning, CA
6 19H Austin Hubbard Seaford, DE
7 93 Ray Moore Shreveport, LA
8 89 Daren Friedman Forrest, IL
9 18H Dustin Hapka Grand Forks, ND
10 00 Randy Korte Highland, IL
11 33X Adam Hensel Barron, WI

Heat #2    
1 24 Rick Eckert York, PA
2 28M Jimmy Mars Menomonie, WI
3 15 Steve Francis Ashland, KY
4 25 Jason Feger Bloomington, IL
5 15b Brian Birkhofer Muscatine, IA
6 9 Eric Smith Shirley, IL
7 71 Andrew McKay Edina, MN
8 71 Don O'Neal Martinsville, IN
9 31 Jason Utter Columbus Junction, IA
10 1JL John Lobb Frewsburg, NY
11 18 Shannon Babb Moweaqua, IL

Heat #3    
1 25S Chad Simpson Mt. Vernon, IA
2 32 Chris Simpson Oxford, IA
3 99jr Frank Heckenast Jr Frankfort, IL
4 21 Billy Moyer Batesville, AR
5 0 Scott Bloomquist Mooresburg, TN
6 1 Brian Shirley Chatham, IL
7 90 Lance Matthees Winona, MN
8 39 Tim McCreadie Watertown, NY
9 9T Tim Isenburg Marshfield, WI
10 99J Jimmy Dehm Lexington, IL
11 27H Stewart Hayward Calgary, AB

Heat #4    
1 1 Josh Richards Shinnston, WV
2 b5 Brandon Sheppard New Berlin, IL
3 37 Jared Hawkins Fairmont, WV
4 s9 Dan Schlieper Sullivan, WI
5 25 Shane Clanton Fayetteville, GA
6 49 Jonathan Davenport Blairsville, GA
7 11 Pat Doar New Richmond, WI
8 21b Chip Brindle Chatsworth, GA
9 7R Kent Robinson Bloomington, IL
10 22 Jill George Cedar Falls, IA
11 87 Ross Bailes Chester, SC

Heat #5    
1 98X Jason Rauen Farley, IA
2 28e Dennis Erb Jr Carpentersville, IL
3 777 Jared Landers Batesville, AR
4 29 Darrell Lanigan Union, KY
5 44 Clint Smith Senoia, GA
6 1* Chub Frank Bear Lake, PA
7 32c Vic Coffey Caledonia, NY
8 89 Mike Spatola Manhattan, IL
9 71d Ron Davies Warren, PA
10 40 Bryan Wennen Lindstrom, MN

Qualifying Results
1 98X Jason Rauen Farley, IA 13.484
2 49 Jonathan Davenport Blairsville, GA 13.530
3 21 Billy Moyer Batesville, AR 13.679
4 25 Jason Feger Bloomington, IL 13.701
5 89 Daren Friedman Forrest, IL 13.724
6 89 Mike Spatola Manhattan, IL 13.737
7 25 Shane Clanton Fayetteville, GA 13.771
8 99jr Frank Heckenast Jr Frankfort, IL 13.868
9 15b Brian Birkhofer Muscatine, IA 13.868
10 19H Austin Hubbard Seaford, DE 13.871
11 1* Chub Frank Bear Lake, PA 13.894
12 1 Josh Richards Shinnston, WV 13.898
13 32 Chris Simpson Oxford, IA 13.899
14 15 Steve Francis Ashland, KY 13.950
15 18 R.L. Hollingsworth Northport, AL 13.952
16 777 Jared Landers Batesville, AR 13.955
17 37 Jared Hawkins Fairmont, WV 13.960
18 25S Chad Simpson Mt. Vernon, IA 13.964
19 24 Rick Eckert York, PA 13.998
20 93 Ray Moore Shreveport, LA 14.014
21 2 Brady Smith Solon Springs, WI 14.032
22 71 Don O'Neal Martinsville, IN 14.049
23 1 Brian Shirley Chatham, IL 14.066
24 b5 Brandon Sheppard New Berlin, IL 14.077
25 28e Dennis Erb Jr Carpentersville, IL 14.094
26 11t Tyler Reddick Corning, CA 14.106
27 28M Jimmy Mars Menomonie, WI 14.113
28 90 Lance Matthees Winona, MN 14.151
29 21b Chip Brindle Chatsworth, GA 14.170
30 44 Clint Smith Senoia, GA 14.177
31 58 A.J. Diemel Bonduel, WI 14.177
32 18 Shannon Babb Moweaqua, IL 14.191
33 39 Tim McCreadie Watertown, NY 14.200
34 s9 Dan Schlieper Sullivan, WI 14.217
35 32c Vic Coffey Caledonia, NY 14.263
36 33X Adam Hensel Barron, WI 14.282
37 71 Andrew McKay Edina, MN 14.290
38 0 Scott Bloomquist Mooresburg, TN 14.301
39 11 Pat Doar New Richmond, WI 14.305
40 29 Darrell Lanigan Union, KY 14.337
41 19F Tim Fuller Watertown, NY 14.352
42 9 Eric Smith Shirley, IL 14.368
43 9T Tim Isenburg Marshfield, WI 14.402
44 7R Kent Robinson Bloomington, IL 14.402
45 71d Ron Davies Warren, PA 14.433
46 00 Randy Korte Highland, IL 14.459
47 31 Jason Utter Columbus Junction, IA 14.577
48 99J Jimmy Dehm Lexington, IL 14.593
49 87 Ross Bailes Chester, SC 14.675
50 40 Bryan Wennen Lindstrom, MN 14.686
51 18H Dustin Hapka Grand Forks, ND 14.752
52 1JL John Lobb Frewsburg, NY 14.858
53 27H Stewart Hayward Calgary, AB 14.884
54 22 Jill George Cedar Falls, IA 15.095

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Latemodelracer.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.