Home | Help | Search | Login

Welcome, Guest. Please Login 07/19/19 at 3:43pm

KEIZER

Pages: 1
Red Clay Report - Track Review & Preview Part 3 (Read 2056 times)
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Red Clay Report - Track Review & Preview Part 3
02/27/12 at 1:42pm

Track Review/Preview Part 3

Late Model Mark
Pinson, Alabama (February 23, 2012)
Saving one of the best for last, the final review and an upcoming look at the fantastic Whynot Motorsports Park in Mississippi. Next column will be my track of 2011 but it's time to give some thoughts from the ole bald noggin' about Whynot.

With the major cutback of chasing shows last year, I make it a point to make at least one visit to this track, last years visit was the tracks biggest show, the $15,000-to-win Fall Classic. Most longtime late Model diehards know the story of Whynot, it was a dead and weed overgrown mess that was brought back to life by a fine racer named Rodney Wing. With the help of family and friends, and a major helping hand by racers and others, this track was reborn into one cookin' speedway.

The track itself is located a number of miles away from the small city of Meridian, very close to the Alabama state line. It is the longest 1-day drive from the house here in central Bama, about 190 miles each way. The track is somewhat tricky to find but once ya get there it is really a cool joint. Easy parking on well manicured grass with plenty of space. The grandstands while not large provide a very good view, near a full length tower tops the seats, the backstraight also has a very nice grandstand area that has it's own full concessions and restrooms. The frontstraight has an area for souvineer trailers that is quaint but workable. Nice restrooms are a plus, the concessions are fair priced, quick moving and quality. The track has excellent lighting, nice walls and fencing, there is a very good scoreboard as well. In turns one and two there is trackside parking that's always full. You will see folks busting out the grill and just having a good time while having a view that is up close no doubt.

The pits are large to say the least with Rodney's racecar shop in the far corner that is quite busy on race weekends as he opens it up for racers to repair whatever breaks. The track itself is just a beauty, unique dirt that when prepped normally produces spectacular racing. The layout of the oval just suits Late Models, wide and smooth is the norm. Last years Fall Classic has a stout and talented field that in my view produced the best single main event of the year. The 3 and 4 wide action was nothing short of awesome. There was so much passing and action ya did not know where to look. Just a smokin' race that was won by Jonathan Davenport.Super racing that made the long drive and getting home at O' dark thirty worth it.

2012 will not see to much change, the track will have a number of MSCCS races thru the year, a big $5000-to-win Nesmith Crate Series race and of course the getting bigger every year Fall Classic in October. This track is such a gem, it needs nothing except what all tracks need, good support of the racers and fans. One last thing, the father and son announcing team of James and Corey Murphy hinted that 2011 might be the last year at Whynot, hope not, these 2 guys do a great job of calling the races, quite funny as well. Every visit I make to the track they are very welcoming and always get me up in the tower for my viewpoints and plugs for www.Latemodelracer.com. If they do leave it will not be the same but if they stay, you can bet that when you see a race at Whynot, you won't hear screamers, guys who just babble on, they will make ya feel at home. So if you are ever in Mississippi, go check out a race at Rodney Wing's great Whynot Motorsports Park, worth every mile and every penny spent!! Next Red Clay Report, my 2011 track of the year.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Latemodelracer.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.