Home | Help | Search | Login

Welcome, Guest. Please Login 04/23/24 at 2:39am

KEIZER

Pages: 1
Lucas Oil Series at Batesville Motor Speedway - 8/18 Results (Read 7727 times)
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Lucas Oil Series at Batesville Motor Speedway - 8/18 Results
08/17/12 at 10:34pm

Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series
Batesville Motor Speedway
August 18, 2012

Steve Francis Dominates COMP Cams Topless 100 at Batesville Motor Speedway

by James Essex
LOCUST GROVE, AR (August 18, 0212) - Leading all 100 laps, Steve Francis of Ashland, KY dominated the 20th Annual COMP Cams Topless 100 on Saturday Night at Batesville Motor Speedway. Francis, piloting the Valvoline, Barry Wright House Car collected $40,000 for his first win in the crown jewel event sanctioned by the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series.

Former Topless 100 winner and hometown driver Jared Landers of Batesville, AR finished second followed by Eric Wells of Hazard, KY; Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, TN; and Jimmy Owens of Newport, TN.

Francis, who started on the pole, took the lead at the start and then had to withstand several caution flags on his way to a convincing win. At least three drivers took a shot at Francis during the race, but only Landers consistently stayed within striking distance of him.

"I have to thank Barry and Lance Wright, this car was fast from the time we unloaded here on Thursday, I was worried about tire wear, but the Hoosiers still look good after the race, so I am happy for that! This is Barry's first win in this race, and I have only run it a handful of times in the past," said the 44-year-old driver, who captured his fifth LOLMDS win of 2012.

"The track was great all race, we stayed up top for most of it, but I knew Jared (Landers) was going to be there, but the car handled so well in open space and in traffic, I just drove it, it feels good to finally capture another crown jewel event," said Francis who moved to third in the championship points race.

"I know Barry would like to dedicate this win to Buck Simmons, who passed away last Sunday, Buck drove for Barry for ten years, and I know Buck would be proud of this team tonight," said Francis, whose Barry Wright Trace Cars Chevrolet is powered by a Clements Racing Engine. "I have to thank Nichols Plumbing, JRi Shocks, AES Racing, Mathis Farms and VP Fuels, without them this wouldn't be possible."

Landers, who scored a stunning win in the race two years ago, held the second position for a majority of the race, yielding to Owens and Wells for a brief time. Landers regained the runner-up position for good on lap 74. "Steve drove a heck of a good race, the track was excellent, we changed motors this afternoon, we are real happy with this finish, it has been a struggle here lately, and it feels good to be running back up front against these guys."

Wells, whose third place run marked his best ever finish in a crown jewel race was elated with third. "We ran good, I thought I could get second, Jared and I had good battle for second, nobody had anything for Steve, he was the class of the field, but to come third in a TV race and crown jewel event it is a step in the right direction for our race team," said Wells.

Completing the top ten were Don O'Neal of Martinsville, IN; Jesse Stovall of Galena, MO; Chris Madden of Gaffney, SC; Shannon Babb of Moweaqua, IL; and John Blankenship of Williamson, WV.

In preliminary action Scott Bloomquist set the Red Buck Cigars Fast Time amongst the 44 entrants, with a lap of 12.798 seconds. Chris Madden set the fastest time in Group B with a time of 12.841 seconds. Steve Francis, Jared Landers, Chris Madden, and Don O'Neal won their respective Heat Races. Eric Wells and Brandon Smith won their respective B-Mains.

On Thursday, August 23rd, the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series invades Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN for the Reece Monument "Scorcher 50", then on Saturday, August 25th, the series heads up to lay down the law at Lawrenceburg Speedway in Lawrenceburg, IN. Both events will feature Red Buck Cigars Time Trials, Heat Races, B-Mains, and 50-lap, $10,000 main events. For more information, check out www.volunteerspeedway.com and www.lawrenceburgspeedway.com.

For the latest breaking news on the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, log onto www.lucasdirt.com and be sure to follow the series at www.facebook.com/lucasdirt and www.twitter.com/#!/lucasdirt.

Race Summary
Saturday Night, August 18th, 2012
20th Annual COMP Cams "Topless 100"
Batesville Motor Speedway - Batesville, AR

1 1 15 Steve Francis Ashland, KY
2 3 5 Jared Landers Batesville, AR
3 17 18e Eric Wells Hazard, KY
4 5 0 Scott Bloomquist Mooresburg, TN
5 8 20 Jimmy Owens Newport, TN
6 4 71 Don O'Neal Martinsville, IN
7 12 00s Jesse Stovall Galena, MO
8 2 44m Chris Madden Gaffney, SC
9 6 18 Shannon Babb Mowequa, IL
10 11 23 John Blankenship Williamson, WV
11 20 44 Earl Pearson, Jr. Jacksonville, FL
12 21 6r Robbie Stuart DeRidder, LA
13 22 15d Jonathan Davenport Blairsville, GA
14 15 14m Morgan Bagley Tyler, TX
15 16 1s Jack Sullivan Greenbrier, AR
16 18 115 Brandon Smith Floral, AR
17 19 5bx Klint Byars Calhoun City, MS
18 7 17m Dale McDowell Chickamauga, GA
19 23 11T Tyler Reddick Corning, CA
20 13 99h Todd Hall Charleston, MO
21 24 5m Jon Mitchell Texarkana, TX
22 9 21 Billy Moyer Batesville, AR
23 10 1v Will Vaught Crane, MO
24 14 6m Wendell Wallace Batesville, AR

Race Statistics
Entrants: 44
Lap Leaders: Steve Francis (Laps 1 - 100)
Caution Flags: Jack Sullivan (Lap 4); Will Vaught, Wendell Wallace (Lap 6); Don O'Neal (Lap 8); Dale McDowell, Tyler Reddick (Lap 24); Brandon Smith (Lap 53); Don O'Neal (Lap 72); Jimmy Owens (Lap 73); Jimmy Owens (Lap 76); Shannon Babb (Lap 81)
Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Provisionals: Tyler Reddick
Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Emergency Provisional: none

First Heat (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer): Steve Francis, Scott Bloomquist, Billy Moyer, Todd Hall, Klint Byars, Robbie Stuart, Terry Phillips, Chris Wall, Shane Harris, Chris Huckabay, Billy Moyer, Jr.

Second Heat (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer): Jared Landers, Dale McDowell, John Blankenship, Morgan Bagley, Eric Wells, Shawn Knuckles, Curtiss Cook, Kyle Beard, Tyler Reddick, Odie Green, Travis Mosley

Third Heat (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer): Chris Madden, Shannon Babb, Will Vaught, Wendell Wallace, Brandon Smith, Robert Baker, Neil Baggett, Jason McBride, Tommy Surrett, Keith Lawson, Braden Mitchell

Fourth Heat (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer): Don O'Neal, Jimmy Owens, Jesse Stovall, Jack Sullivan, Earl Pearson, Jr., Jonathan Davenport, Jon Mitchell, Jeff Chanler, Timothy Culp, Jon Kirby, BJ Robinson

First B-Main (15 Laps - Top 3 Transfer): Eric Wells, Klint Byars, Robbie Stuart, Chris Wall, Shawn Knuckles, Terry Phillips, Curtiss Cook, Kyle Beard, Shane Harris, Chris Huckabay, Odie Green, Tyler Reddick, Billy Moyer, Jr.-DNS, Travis Mosley-DNS

Second B-Main (15 Laps - Top 3 Transfer): Brandon Smith, Earl Pearson, Jr., Jonathan Davenport, Robert Baker, BJ Robinson, Jon Mitchell, Neil Baggett, Tommy Surrett, Timothy Culp, Jon Kirby, Jeff Chanler, Jason McBride-DNS, Keith Lawson-DNS, Braden Mitchell-DNS

Fast Time Group A: Scott Bloomquist / 12.798 seconds
Fast Time Group B: Chris Madden / 12.841 seconds

WWW   IP Logged
LMR
LMR Admin

Latemodelracer.com

United States
Re: Lucas Oil Series at Batesville Motor Speedway - 8/18 Results
Reply #1 - 08/20/12 at 4:35pm

Batesville Motor Speedway
August 18, 2012

Photos courtesy of Ron Mitchell

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Latemodelracer.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.