The penalty barely hampered Bloomquist, who immediately slid back to second when the green flag flew. He then spent several laps in a thrilling, side-by-side race for the lead with Moyer before surging ahead as lap 96 was scored to end the clash of dirt Late Model titans.
"Billy did a good job," said Bloomquist, "but we just had a little bit better combination or the bottom."
Moyer, who won a WoO LMS A-Main on Wednesday night at Shawano (Wis.) Speedway, graciously accepted the late-race loss to his longtime rival.
"At the beginning of the race I would've never thought it would happen that way," said Moyer, who was shooting for his first USA Nationals victory since 1993. "At the end we just weren't quite good enough. We almost done it I guess."
The 48-year-old Frank, meanwhile, couldn't keep pace with the leaders over the final 11 circuits, but a third-place finish was much more than he could have envisioned after nearly missing the starting field. He had to rely on a provisional after a bad battery ground wire prevented him from using his pole starting spot in the Last Chance Race.
"We got lucky tonight," said Frank, who pitted during a lap-19 caution period to raise the ride height of his car. "Sometimes you just gotta use your head. I wish the car would've been a little bit better, but it was too tight so I just tried to stay out of trouble and finish the race."
Many other drivers weren't as fortunate as Frank. Among the contenders who fell by the wayside early were:
* Don O'Neal of Martinsville, Ind., who steered Larry Moring's car into the lead on lap two and stayed there until mechanical woes forced him to retire from the race during a lap-19 caution period.
* Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky., who started from the pole position and led lap one and laps 20-31. He was plagued by an overheating engine, however, and on lap 75 his powerplant seized up, forcing him to stop on the homestretch while running third.
* Defending USA Nationals champion Jimmy Mars of Menomonie, Wis., who roared from the eighth starting spot to the lead by lap 32 but couldn't stay there. He suddenly headed pitside with mechanical trouble during a lap-59 caution period.
* Tim McCreadie of Watertown, N.Y., who won Thursday night's DIRTcar UMP-sanctioned feature. He started fifth and got up to second on a lap-23 restart before slipping back to fourth, where he was running when a flat right-rear tire caused him to pit during a lap-44 caution period. He was back up to fourth when an overheating powerplant forced him to the infield on lap 71.
* Defending WoO LMS champion Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., who suffered a rare DNF when an engine problem caused him to slow while running second on lap 18.
* Shane Clanton of Fayetteville, Ga., who climbed as high as second from the 7th starting spot before an overheating motor forced him out on lap 44.
* Rookie Austin Hubbard of Seaford, Del., who was running second on lap 60 in his first-ever start at Cedar Lake when his Beitler Motorsports car tossed a right-rear wheel and slammed into the wall between turns three and four.
The USA Nationals served as the fourth leg of the LaCrosse Extreme Tough Challenge, a unique mini-series that awards points to the top-five fulltime WoO LMS and Sprint Car Series drivers in 16 selected events - eight Late Model and eight Sprint Car - and will earn the champion of the combined standings a $5,000 bonus from a $15,000 points fund. Frank earned five points for being the highest-finishing WoO LMS regular in the 100-lapper, with Francis (four), Lanigan (three), McCreadie (two) and Hubbard (one) also picking up points.
Saturday's action kicked off with a pair of 15-lap B-Mains won by Matt Miller of Waterville, Ohio, and Brian Birkhofer of Muscatine, Iowa.
WoO LMS regular Tim Fuller of Watertown, N.Y., captured the 12-lap Last Chance Race, which also sent runner-up Matt Lux of Franklin, Pa., to the USA Nationals.
The WoO LMS will be idle until kicking off a five-race swing through the Northeast on Aug. 18 at Grandview Speedway in Bechtelsville, Pa. The tour also has dates on Aug. 19 at Rolling Wheels Raceway in Elbridge, N.Y.; Aug. 20-21 at Mohawk International Raceway in Hogansburg, N.Y. (the $20,000-to-win 'Battle at Eastern Door'); Aug. 23 at Autodrome Drummond in Drummondville, Que.; and Aug. 24 at Brewerton (N.Y.) Speedway.
Results of WoO Late Model Series 'USA Nationals presented by U.S. Steel Corp.' (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (19) Scott Bloomquist/100 $50,075
2. (26) Billy Moyer/100 $20,000
3. (25) Chub Frank/100 $10,000
4. (16) Jonathan Davenport/100 $6,000
5. (20) Will Vaught/100 $5,000
6. (4) Steve Francis/99 $4,500
7. (15) Chris Simpson/95 $4,250
8. (13) Earl Pearson Jr./90 $4,000
9. (21) Shannon Babb/88 $3,750
10. (22) Dennis Erb Jr./84 $3,500
11. (1) Darrell Lanigan/75 $3,250
12. (5) Tim McCreadie/71 $3,000
13. (11) Austin Hubbard/60 $2,800
14. (8) Jimmy Mars/59 $2,650
15. (14) Jason Feger/54 $2,500
16. (7) Shane Clanton/43 $2,400
17. (23) Tim Fuller/38 $2,350
18. (18) Brian Birkhofer/33 $2,200
19. (17) Matt Miller/33 $2,100
20. (10) Rick Eckert/33 $2,075
21. (12) Jimmy Owens/27 $2,050
22. (3) Don O'Neal/19 $2,075
23. (2) Josh Richards/19 $2,010
24. (9) Chad Simpson/14 $2,000
25. (24) Matt Lux/14 $2,000
26. (6) Clint Smith/6 $2,025
Time of Race: 1 Hour, 18 Mins., 30.031 Secs.
Margin of Victory: Secs.
Yellow Flags: 13 (Laps 5, 6, 19, 19, 23, 34, 39, 44, 59, 60, 75, 78, 82)
Red Flag: 1 (Lap 89)
Lap Leaders: Lanigan (1); O'Neal (2-19); Lanigan (20-31); Mars (32-59); Moyer (60-95); Bloomquist (96-100)
Provisional Starters: Davenport (time trials); Fuller (WoO); Moyer (Thursday night feature)
B-Main No. 1 (15 laps - Top 3 Transfer): 1. Matt Miller, 2. Scott Bloomquist, 3. Shannon Babb, 4. Chub Frank, 5. Tim Fuller, 6. Pat Doar, 7. Ronny Lee Hollingsworth, 8. Keith Foss, 9. Zach Johnson, 10. Kevin Sather, 11. Gregg Hill, 12. Kerry Hansen, 13. Ashley Anderson, 14. Jill George, 15. Billy Moyer, 16. Brian Shirley, 17. Brady Smith
B-Main No. 2 (15 laps - Top 3 Transfer): 1. Brian Birkhofer, 2. Will Vaught, 3. Dennis Erb Jr., 4. Justin Fegers, 5. Matt Lux, 6. Josh McGuire, 7. Dan Schlieper, 8. Lance Matthees, 9. Eric Pember, 10. Andrew McKay, 11. Brian Harris, 12. Even Hubert, 13. Dustin Hapka, 14. Russell King, 15. Bub McCool, 16. John Winge, 17. Darren Friedman
Last-Chance Race (12 laps - Top 2 Transfer): 1. Tim Fuller, 2. Matt Lux, 3. Pat Doar, 4. Josh McGuire, 5. Keith Foss, 6. Lance Matthees, 7. Russell King, 8. Zach Johnson, 9. Andrew McKay, 10. Kevin Sather, 11. Eric Pember, 12. Kerry Hansen, 13. Justin Fegers, 14. Dan Schlieper (DNS) Chub Frank, Ronny Lee Hollingsworth, Brian Harris, Darren Friedman
2010 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Point Standings as of Aug. 7 - 35 A-Mains completed (rank/driver/points/deficit to leader):
1. Josh Richards 4654
2. Darrell Lanigan 4618 (-36)
3. Tim McCreadie 4606 (-48)
4. Steve Francis 4472 (-182)
5. Shane Clanton 4394 (-260)
6. Austin Hubbard 4342 (-312)
7. Rick Eckert 4336 (-318)
8. Tim Fuller 4300 (-354)
9. Chub Frank 4184 (-470)
10. Clint Smith 4126 (-528)
11. Russell King 3882 (-772)
12. Brent Robinson 3470 (-1184)