Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 05/18/24 at 4:31pm

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerSaturday Night RacerSATURDAY NIGHT RACER › Time to prototype a teen mini-late model?

Pages: 1 2 3 
Time to prototype a teen mini-late model? (Read 38347 times)
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Time to prototype a teen mini-late model?
12/18/11 at 7:04pm

Would their be any interest in creating a stepping stone protype racecar for young teens 14-19.  Like an affordable mini-latemodel?  I was talking to Lee about the stepping stone from mini-dwarfs and many of the kids go on to race micro sprints or some other kind of nice mini-racecars somewhere else leaving the track that groomed them out to lunch.  It would be easy to create a cheap late mini-latemodel that's more like an upscaled mini-dwarf that uses a GX390 which is around 17hp-20hp.  Maybe a 500 lb car with 1.25 tubing and cheap spec shocks on all 4 corners.  I would say the cars would cost a little more than a mini-dwarf but not more.  

Maybe like this but a little more limiting in tires and suspension.  

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Rick_Coffey
LMR Rookie

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Time to prototype a teen mini-late model?
Reply #1 - 12/18/11 at 7:25pm

Its called a IMCA Modifed, you can start racing when you are 14.

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #2 - 12/18/11 at 8:44pm

That's too much car for most 14 year olds.  It's big jump from 6hp lawn mower engines.  This really isn't to stop 14 year olds from getting into mods but keep the kids from leaving into micro sprints and bandalaros when they are 14 which is happening.  Once they leave many don't come back. The price between maintaining a mini dwarf and sport mod is night and day.

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
JOHNSON MOTORSPORTS 99
LMR God

2007 HOBBY STOCK
CHAMPION

Reply #3 - 12/19/11 at 4:24am

Rick_Coffey wrote on 12/18/11 at 7:25pm:
Its called a IMCA Modifed, you can start racing when you are 14.

i dont think bako allows you in a mod at 14. back east yes but not out here cuz of there insurance i think but may be wrong

2007 HOBBY STOCK CHAMPION
  IP Logged
ninjaforce2
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #4 - 12/19/11 at 9:00am

its kinda of a cool idea, they let 12 year old kids race legends cars, not much difference, them cars are fast.

IP Logged
Steve Curtis
LMR God

www.raceimages. net/

CA
Reply #5 - 12/19/11 at 10:48am

At Oakshade they race a Hornet class for 12-18 year olds. gets them into a full size car (well as full sized as a 4 banger can be) and it's an experience based class. I think thats a great place to make a jump up into and with the age and experience restrictions a good place to actually learn to race before jumping from a kart or dwarf car into modifieds.

WWW   IP Logged
car22
LMR Rookie

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/19/11 at 11:30am

billy go on nc chassis web sit look up mine cup cars eric ran these for one year when he was 11.we ran Stockton,roseville,meadera,shasta.the hole time we ran the cars i was thanking how cool thy would be on the dirt.

IP Logged
Redalert144
LMR Senior

IMCA Stock Cars
Rule!

Yuma, Az
Reply #7 - 12/19/11 at 2:59pm

mini cup cars

WWW   IP Logged
bakoboss
LMR God

The West's Fastest
1/3 Mile High Banked
Clay Oval

Reply #8 - 12/19/11 at 8:11pm

We've allowed 14 yr olds in mini stock & american stocks for a while now. IMCA does allow 14 yr olds and I'm hearing we have a 14 yr old coming out in sport mods in 2012.

WWW   IP Logged
fan_of_4p
LMR God

Where's the next
race?

Reply #9 - 12/19/11 at 9:00pm

Billy get ahold of AJ Kirkpatrick, he has a mini late model and has the jig to build them right now. He bought 1 of the 3 cars they built back east. It is run on a stock 1000cc motorcyle engine that are cheap wreaked bikes. He hot lapped it in Merced the last time we were there.

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #10 - 12/19/11 at 10:08pm

When I'm in the stands I often see 13-15 year olds that use to race mini dwarfs. I think some of the parents aren't really into getting junkyard cars after racing these which is why they split to quarter midgets.  I think if you asked any teen or mini-dwarf parent what they would rather run, a 1982 hatchback that plows in the corner or a mini-latemodel that is cheaper, easier to work on, handles more like a race car the answer would close to the same.  I think the only down side is you'd have 30 year olds bummed they couldn't race in the class.

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
fromthegrandstands
LMR God

A REAL Pain in the
A$$

Santa Maria, CA
Reply #11 - 12/19/11 at 11:52pm

I think the only down side is you'd have 30 year olds bummed they couldn't race in the class.

Jr. Late Models SENIOR DIVISION - 30 yrs and UP!  haha

WWW   IP Logged
miniguru27
LMR God

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #12 - 12/20/11 at 2:33pm

Mini cup motorsports uses the mini cup car on pavemement and on dirt.On dirt there called Cyclone dirt late models.A couple of years ago a guy brought two of them to sms and Doug Thorton and Steve Vogt drove them around the speedway.

IP Logged
Slip
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #13 - 12/20/11 at 4:55pm

Or 600cc Mod-lites.....they could be called Mod-lite-lites!!!

IP Logged
hoosierdaddy
LMR Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 12/21/11 at 6:59pm

what about a restricted dwarf class? I dont know much about them but seems like u can pick old ones up fairly cheap.

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #15 - 12/21/11 at 7:13pm

The only real way to restrict them is to get serious about the motors which can reach 1500.  With the teen class the rule should simple out of the gate.  Honda 390 or 650 STOCK.  Winner yanks the engine and swaps it with a pill pull position.... every night no questions asked.  This would eliminate the spending craziness.  It's hard to do this now because most of the racers have money in their motors.  Other than that there's not much different from an older kart and a newer one other than the new ones might be a little lighter.

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
jrtracing
LMR God

CA
Reply #16 - 12/21/11 at 8:32pm

I think he's talking about restricting a full size dwarf car down some. On the surface that seems like a good idea, but classes that get started because you can buy old parts cheap, rarely stay that way.

YIM | AIM   IP Logged
sbracing
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Ventura CA
Reply #17 - 12/23/11 at 4:14pm

I think the junior midget class that Ventura Raceway has in place is a great stepping stone for the 10-14 olds who are ready to take the next step after mini dwarfs.  They run a sealed Briggs and Stratton 15 or so HP electric start motor, and the car has a pretty nice suspension to it, which the kids coming out of the mini's really appreciate.

Many of the kids are too big for this class by 14.  At Ventura they can run the 600 modlites, restricted focus midget class, or sport compacts.  Some of them stepped up to the CDCRA dwarf car ranks, which does allow 14 year olds to race.  The 5-6 under 16 kids who raced this season were surprisingly good, and having raced for many years already taught them some great racing etiquette that many adults could learn from!

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #18 - 12/23/11 at 4:21pm

It would be nice to have something with fenders so the flips are reduced.  The mini-dwarfs are good for at least a flip a night.  I also think they should be simple and cheap.  Like a larger mini-dwarf so parents don't get discouraged and we don't see 15,000 mini-lates.  With an engine rule like winner pulls motor every race and swaps with random driver that finishes on the lead lap the class can actually be cheaper and faster and more door to door than the mini-dwarfs.

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Jeremy Queener
LMR Senior

Jeremy Queener

Reply #19 - 12/23/11 at 6:26pm

imracin68j wrote on 12/23/11 at 4:21pm:
It would be nice to have something with fenders so the flips are reduced.  The mini-dwarfs are good for at least a flip a night.  I also think they should be simple and cheap.  Like a larger mini-dwarf so parents don't get discouraged and we don't see 15,000 mini-lates.  With an engine rule like winner pulls motor every race and swaps with random driver that finishes on the lead lap the class can actually be cheaper and faster and more door to door than the mini-dwarfs.

Agree on all of this but mostly on the engine swap. It would work for a division of this stature.

WWW   IP Logged
LANEY5L
LMR Member

WHEN IN DOUBT,
THROTTLE IT OUT!

Reply #20 - 12/23/11 at 9:31pm

i dont think many people would swap their engine with somebody elses.

5L IMCA Modified
  IP Logged
jrtracing
LMR God

CA
Reply #21 - 12/23/11 at 10:23pm

I think as long as its done right from the start, it's a great concept.

YIM | AIM   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.