Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 05/19/24 at 2:36pm

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerTracksANTIOCH SPEEDWAY › Delta Classic Highlights Season at Antioch Speedway

Pages: 1
Delta Classic Highlights Season at Antioch Speedway (Read 1027 times)
SNR
LMR Admin

Delta Classic Highlights Season at Antioch Speedway
09/30/13 at 11:19pm

Antioch Speedway
September 29, 2013

DELTA CLASSIC HIGHLIGHTS THE SEASON AT ANTIOCH SPEEDWAY

Antioch Speedway
ANTIOCH, Calif. - It’s an October tradition that Antioch Speedway’s drivers look forward to. The annual “Delta Classic”, a big money event for northern California’s Late Model and Modified division stock car drivers, is on tap Saturday night at the speedway.

Features for Late Model and Modified stock cars will pay $1500 to win on Saturday night, a number that will draw cars and drivers from other speedways across the state. The races are “open” - meaning there are no sanctioning body rules, just track rules. With no worry of accumulating championship points in the these divisions, drivers will concentrate on all-out racing.

“I’ll be here,” said Richard Papenhausen after his third straight Late Model feature win in Antioch this past Saturday. “I love this place and my late model likes it, too.”

Papenhausen has been un-challenged in his recent wins. It wasn’t since June, when he battled with California’s racing legend, Bobby Hogge IV of Salinas, that Papenhausen was beaten.

“I may not have a late model to drive,” Hogge said. “But, we will have the modified good to go. We’re working on the late model. Papenhausen couldn’t beat us the last time we raced against him.”

Hogge IV , a three-time tack champion at Antioch Speedway, may have an alternative late model ride in the works should his car not be ready.

“Antioch Speedway is an intimidating track to drive – with walls all the way around it,” Hogge IV explained. “The surface changes through the night. It keeps everyone guessing on how to set up their cars. I like that. There is an element of educated guessing necessary to win.”

Oakley’s Kellen Chadwick, who travels to major modified stock car races throughout the country, was busy working on his car this week. Chadwick took second place in the International Motor Contest Association (IMCA) NORCAL Challenge, a season long series which was won by Chico’s Ryan McDaniel. McDaniel is also expected at the Delta Classic.

“We’re excited to be racing at Antioch Speedway, which is our home track,” said Chad Chadwick, Kellen’s father and crew chief. “There is nothing like racing in front of a local crowd.”

Late Model driver Paul Guglielmoni of Vacaville, who missed last Saturday’s race due to a wedding commitment, is going to be at the Delta Classic.

“I heard the track was in great shape last week,” Guglielmoni said. “I’m looking forward to the Delta Classic. I hope the race draws lots of drivers. The more there are, the more fun it is.”

In addition to the modified and late model stock cars, the speedway’s Wingless Sprint Car division will race in an extra money event. The sSprint Car division, as well as the Hobby Stock and Dwarf Car divisions, will race in a complete program of qualifying heats and a main event.

Racing gets underway at 6:30 p.m. Antioch Speedway is located within the Contra Costa County Fairgrounds, 1201 W. 10th St. in Antioch. Admission is $14 for adults, $10 for children and $8 for senior citizens. A family four-pack of tickets is $40. Secure parking is available from the fairgrounds for $5.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.