Welcome, Guest. Please
04/16/21 at 12:06pm
WoOLMS at Potomac Speedway - 8/14 Story & Results (Read 1956 times)
WoOLMS at Potomac Speedway - 8/14 Story & Results
08/15/15 at 1:35am
World of Outlaws Late Model Series
August 14, 2015
Richards Goes Back-To-Back, Scores Sixth World of Outlaws Late Model Series Victory Of 2015 At Potomac Speedway
West Virginia Driver in Position to Sweep National Tour's Three-Race Mid-Atlantic Trip during Saturday's Visit to Winchester Speedway
BUDDS CREEK, Md. (August 14) - Josh Richards is making the most of the World of Outlaws Late Model Series' visit to the Mid-Atlantic region.
Richards, the three-time WoO LMS champion from Shinnston, W.Va., raced to his second victory in as many nights Friday evening at Potomac Speedway, leading all but the opening lap of the Gunter's Honey 50 to earn $10,700 in the second leg of the national tour's three-race Mid-Atlantic weekend.
Starting from the sixth position, Richards, 27, survived contact in an opening-lap scramble before charging ahead of outside polesitter Morgan Bagley of Longview, Texas, to take the lead on lap two. After holding off a mid-race challenge from Rick Eckert of York, Pa., Richards pulled away for much of the second half of the race before again turning Eckert back amid traffic during the final five circuits.
Richards crossed the finish line with an advantage of 0.879 seconds in earning his sixth WoO LMS victory of the season and the 55th of his career.
"I love racing in this region. I missed dearly getting to race around here," said Richards, who raced at Potomac for the first time in a number of years after missing last year's WoO LMS return to the 3/8-mile track while sitting out the season due to medical issues.
"I thought the (opening-lap contact) might've got a tire or something," Richards added. "Luckily it was just cosmetic. We were able to get rolling and get the lead early. I had to be really patient in lapped traffic - just try to slow myself down and try to ride it out."
Eckert settled for second after starting from the pole. He was followed closely by Kyle Hardy of Stephens City, Va., who charged from the 20th starting spot to score the best WoO LMS finish of his career. Eighth-starting Austin Hubbard of Seaford, Del., was fourth, while WoO LMS points leader Shane Clanton of Zebulon, Ga., finished where he started in the fifth spot.
Richards, who won the first round of the three-race WoO LMS trip during Thursday's Fulton Bank 50 at Delaware International Speedway in Delmar, Del., drove his Valvoline-sponsored Rocket Chassis house car to his 17th top-five finish in 31 WoO LMS races on the season.
His back-to-back triumphs come after a disappointing stretch of racing that saw Richards scored just one victory in 12 WoO LMS races between June and July.
"The guys have worked really hard lately," Richards said. "They haven't given up and it's showed. It feels good to win again."
In just his second outing in a new Longhorn Chassis for Paul Crowl Racing, Eckert was solid all night at Potomac. He was in prime position to pick up his second WoO LMS victory of the season after drawing the pole in the redraw among heat winners and runners-up, but Richards outdueled him in the race's opening laps.
"He out drove us there at the beginning," Eckert said of Richards' charge to the front. "He got up on the wheel and got on the top. I was too neutral at the beginning to do that. I did get a roll on him a couple times in the middle of the race, but I didn't need them cautions.
"I think our cars were pretty equal, to be honest. He just out drove me those first couple of laps."
While the front of the field may have been mostly settled after Richards made his early charge the lead, there was plenty of excitement back in the pack for much of the distance.
Hardy was a large part of that action with his charge through the field. He drove his Viper Motorsports MasterSbilt by Huey machine into the top five by lap 15 and used a three-wide pass to climb to third on a lap-23 restart. But his charge stalled out there, and he settled for third at the finish.
"We didn't expect to pass that many cars in the feature," said Hardy, who won a Last-Chance Showdown to make Friday's main event lineup. "We were pretty frustrated after the heat race and the B-Main. We really weren't looking for that, but we got rolling on the top there on them restarts.
"The car was good. It didn't everything I wanted it to. I wanted to pass two more, but that was all we could get."
Jason Covert of York, Haven, Pa., advanced from the 11th starting spot to finish sixth, while Boom Briggs of Bear Lake, Pa., dropped from third to seventh. Eric Wells of Hazard, Ky., improved from 16th to eighth with 13th-starting Kenny Pettyjohn of Millsboro, Del., and 19th-starting Chase Junghans of Manhattan, Kan., rounding out the race's top 10 finishers.
The race was slowed by six cautions. The first occurred on the first attempt to start the race when fourth-starting Jordan Yaggy of Rochester, Minn., spun and was hit by both Richards and Briggs. All three cars were able to continue racing with Yaggy dropping to the tail of the field for the complete restart.
A lap-four yellow flag appeared when Amanda Whaley of Millsboro, Del., slowed with front-end damage. Ricky Elliott of Seaford, Del., slowed for a lap-nine caution, while a tangle involving Junghans, Nick Davis of Millsboro, Del., and Stevie Long of Mechanicsville, Md., caused a lap-12 yellow.
Bagley saw a top-three run turn south when he slowed with a flat tire and brought out a lap-22 caution, and Gregg Satterlee of Indiana, Pa., came to a stop at the top of turn one to necessitate the final caution on lap 23.
The WoO LMS wraps up its three-race weekend with a visit to Winchester Speedway in Winchester, Va., on Saturday. Gates open at 3 p.m. with hot laps at 6:15. More information is available at
For more information on the WoO LMS, visit
World of Outlaws Late Model Series
Gunter's Honey 50
1. (6) Josh Richards/50 $10,700
2. (1) Rick Eckert/50 $5,650
3. (20) Kyle Hardy/50 $3,500
4. (8) Austin Hubbard/50 $2,500
5. (5) Shane Clanton/50 $2,550
6. (11) Jason Covert/50 $1,700
7. (3) Boom Briggs/50 $2,000
8. (16) Eric Wells/50 $1,850
9. (13) Kenny Pettyjohn/50 $1,300
10. (19) Chase Junghans/50 $1,650
11. (17) Stevie Long/50 $1,050
12. (10) Chub Frank/50 $1,550
13. (4) Jordan Yaggy/50 $1,200
14. (2) Morgan Bagley/50 $1,500
15. (15) Frank Heckenast Jr./49 $1,400
16. (12) Nick Davis/49 $850
17. (24) Brandon Overton/34 $1,320
18. (18) Kyle Lear/32 $750
19. (21) Dan Stone/26 $730
20. (7) Gregg Satterlee/23 $700
21. (23) Tim McCreadie/12 $1,350
22. (9) Ricky Elliott/8 $700
23. (14) Amanda Whaley/4 $700
24. (22) Ross Robinson/0 $725
Time of Race: 33 Mins., 35 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 0.879 Secs.
Yellow Flags: Six (laps 1, 4, 9, 12, 22, 23)
Lap Leaders: Bagley (1), Richards (2-50)
Provisional Starters: McCreadie, Overton
WoO LMS 'Bonus Bucks' Winner ($500): Hardy
WoO LMS 'Rookie of the Race' Winner ($250): Yaggy
Heat #1: Bagley, Satterlee, Elliott, Pettyjohn, Long, Jackson, Junghans, Guy.
Heat #2: Hubbard, Yaggy, Frank, Whaley, Stone, Moreland, Anderson. DNS: Hollidge.
Heat #3: Richards, Briggs, Covert, Heckenast, Lear, Robinson, Lawler, Hollenbeck.
Heat #4: Clanton, Eckert, Davis, Wells, Overton, Hardy, Snyder, McCreadie.
Last-Chance Showdown #1: Long, Junghans, Stone, Jackson, Moreland, Guy, Anderson. DNS: Hollidge.
Last-Chance Showdown #2: Lear, Hardy, Robinson, Hollenbeck, Overton, Lawler, Snyder, McCreadie.
Time Trial Results
1. 14m-Morgan Bagley, Longview, Texas, 14.844
2. 11H-Austin Hubbard, Seaford, Del., 14.937
3. 44L-Stevie Long, Mechanicsville, Md., 14.951
4. 77-Jordan Yaggy, Rochester, Minn., 14.959
5. 38s-Kenny Pettyjohn, Millsboro, Del., 14.965
6. 1*-Chub Frank, Bear Lake, Pa., 15.068
7. 88-Ricky Elliott, Seaford, Del., 15.070
8. 4-Amanda Whaley, Millsboro, Del., 15.085
9. 22-Gregg Satterlee, Rochester Mills, Pa., 15.122
10. 21D-Dan Stone, Thompson, Pa., 15.188
11. 18c-Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., 15.241
12. 24-Kenny Moreland, Waldorf, Md., 15.439
13. 44-Deane Guy, Clements, Md., 15.516
14. 41-Andy Anderson, Martinsburg, W.Va., 15.528
15. 11jr-Keith Jackson, Martinsburg, W.Va., 15.767
16. 0-Dale Hollidge, Mechanicsville, Md., no time
1. 1-Josh Richards, Shinnston, W.Va., 14.730
2. 25-Shane Clanton, Zebulon, Ga., 14.808
3. 99B-Boom Briggs, Bear Lake, Pa., 15.000
4. 7e-Rick Eckert, York, Pa., 15.003
5. 72-Jason Covert, York Haven, Pa., 15.063
6. 39-Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y., 15.135
7. 99jr-Frank Heckenast Jr., Frankfort, Ill., 15.151
8. 18-Eric Wells, Hazard, Ky., 15.189
9. 151-Kyle Lear, Severna Park, Md., 15.260
10. 92-Nick Davis, Millsboro, Del., 15.314
11. 93-Pancho Lawler, Glenville, Pa., 15.337
12. 99v-Kyle Hardy, Stephens City, Va., 15.407
13. 7-Ross Robinson, Georgetown, Del., 15.422
14. 76-Brandon Overton, Evans, Ga., 15.431
15. 4DS-Chad Hollenbeck, Montrose, Pa., 15.684
16. 4s-Daniel Snyder, Green Lane, Pa., 15.704
2015 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Point Standings as of Aug. 14
31 A-Mains completed
1. Shane Clanton 4364
2. Josh Richards 4210 (-154)
3. Chub Frank 4116 (-248)
4. Tim McCreadie 4002 (-362)
5. Rick Eckert 3962 (-402)
6. Morgan Bagley 3954 (-410)
7. Frank Heckenast Jr. 3904 (-460)
8. Chase Junghans 3864 (-500)
9. Eric Wells 3860 (-504)
10. Brandon Overton 3676 (-688)
11. Boom Briggs 3602 (-762)
12. Darrell Lanigan 3474 (-890)
13. Jordan Yaggy 3224 (-1140)
Back to top
» Powered by
© 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.